Forum Index > Trail Talk > The smoke is back
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
stever

stever
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 7:04 am 
I just came home from a morning walk in Redmond. Very smoky outside and I could see very small flakes of ash falling in my headlamp's light. I got home and my wife is eating breakfast and she said "you smell." I wanted to say you've been married to me for 15 years and you just noticed that!?!? lol.gif But before I could she said "you smell like a campfire." Sure enough she was right my clothes stink like I've been sitting next to a campfire for the last hour. Be safe out there. SR

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 11:00 am 
I threw my hiking plans back on the shelf after the smoke rolled in last night. It set off our smoke detector so we shut our windows and I guess the dog only gets a couple walks a day for a while. I feel bad for people who have respiratory issues who have to work outside. On the bright side this might convert the folks who were skipping out on wearing a mask for health reasons hockeygrin.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:01 pm 
Here in Port Angeles I woke up this morning with my eyes stinging, the smell of ash in the air, and a bad headache. The cat was going crazy as well. I turned off the window fan and closed the windows we had open. It's pretty smokey and the airquality is rated unhealthy. But the good news is that this should not last long and blow out of here by the weekend. Lets hope that comes true. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:18 pm 
My Mom's place in Gresham: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 81. Windy, with an east wind around 28 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph. My mom is not home right now but a couple of the grand kids (not mine) live with her and they said the yard is littered with tree debris. The glass top table on the deck got smashed. They live backed up to a green belt with some old and wind battered trees too close for comfort. They live right where the gorge opens wide and they are in the direct line of the wind. I heard they are preemptively shutting down power. I'm glad Mom is at my brother's house right now.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:19 pm 
The east wind hit my house in Troutdale (east of Portland) at 4:21 pm yesterday. The house shook! Immediately, visibility almost stopped due to a combination of smoke and dust. Today, the smoke and dust have gone to places farther west, but the wind is still blowing hard. I strongly suspect we'll get more smoke and dust before this "event" is over. At least we currently have no threatening fires in this area.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
drm

drm
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:21 pm 
Mt Adams from the PCT (so about 6000', near Mutton Creek, west side) on Sunday morning. It cleared mostly by later that afternoon and came back even worse Monday afternoon. PS - Minutes later I saw two pikas, so you don't always need long distance views.

gb

gb
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 am 
This week kind of looks like "Smoke Appreciation Week" with southerly winds moving up the smoke along the coast and into the adjacent Pacific. Can only hope that rain on Monday knocks down the southern fires and also takes the smoke out of the air.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 12:06 pm 
From Seattle Times today: "[W]eather officials warned a dense and “super-massive” plume of smoke was heading toward Western Washington to further foul the air. Officials said the cloud of smoke and ash, mostly from monstrous fires burning in California and Oregon, was high in the atmosphere at this point to cause serious health effects, but predictions are that it will mix downward over the next day and make for unhealthy air conditions overnight."

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 5:09 pm 
gb

gb
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:43 am 
It kind of looks like we will see more smoke much of this week. Perhaps some improvement tonight and most of Tuesday, then a resumption of southerly winds later Tuesday until sometime on the 18th when things will likely dramatically begin to improve as winds trend more westerly and northwesterly (at 6000'). The smoke won't likely be as bad as the fires should not be intense but they are still large and still burning. The Oregon fires could see a reasonable amount of rain Tuesday, the California fires will not. This is pretty much what it looked like from the point of view of the 10th, but the amount of rain is less.

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:06 am 
I've been looking at the The High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) because that is what Cliff Mass looks at for smoke forecast. That has been forecasting dramatically improved air quality by today (Monday) but that has not yet occurred. Cliff Mass addresses the shortcomings of the model in today's blog post. The air is better above 5,000 ft, but in the Western Washington low lands an inversion has set up trapping the smoke near the surface. https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/09/much-more-pessimistic-air-quality.html The models are still forecasting dramatic air quality improvement today and for the rest of this week. And with the rains coming in, I would think that will occur. But not as fast and as much as we all hoped for.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:06 am 
Here is a pretty useful smoke modeling/forecasting tool. This has been around a while, but is much improved. A friend, who worked on this before he retired, recently reminded me of it. https://tools.airfire.org/websky/v2/#status He said the ‘best’ model for WA is the “CMAQ Modeled PNW 1.33-km“ run. Click the ‘map‘ button and you get a 60 hr smoke spread model.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:23 am 
The stupid onshore push didnt happen last night. Now we are in this soup for a while. Rain chances are fading too. Doh.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 am 
Weather discussion (Portland) states the oncoming front has stalled offshore. If we get rain tonight or tomorrow, in interior lowlands, it will be 0.05 to 0.10 inches. Better than nothing but not much. Smoke is expected to stay until at least next weekend. The long range section of the weather discussion about the smoke uses the word "hope" several times. Not very encouraging! Weather discussion, NWS Portland In the meantime, at least I could see across the street this morning. Yesterday there was just a blank outside my front window.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 11:11 am 
Keep spendin' most our lives, livin' in a smoker's paradise.