Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bagley Lakes camping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hawkeye

Hawkeye
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 4:24 pm 
Hi there, I only randomly stumble back to this site now and then, but I really enjoy it and have read great stuff here in the past (so thanks). Quick question for you. My wife and I have 6 and 8 year old boys, and now a baby girl (born in March). We picked up a little vintage camper this spring, which has worked out great for camping/hiking adventures. We've been to the Bagley Lakes trailhead a couple times right around this time of year in the past, but always only for day trips. Anyone ever camped in a trailer/camper in the parking lot? Can you? We don't need any services. Also, when we've day hiked up there, our boys were really young and at that awkward age of refusing to go in a pack but not big enough to hike far. So we mostly explored the lakes, creek, meadow right in that area. We can actually do some decent hikes now with baby strapped to front and slightly older kids. From Bagley, would you recommend the whole Chain loop? Or some other specific highlights to shoot for? My kids have enjoyed fishing the creek and Bagley lakes in the past...any other fishing spots to explore (Iceberg, other creeks, etc.)? Thanks! Hoping to spend a couple days up there this week... John

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 4:55 pm 
I don't know the answer for sure, but I would guess camping in an RV at that TH is discouraged if not prohibited. I am pretty sure that just a bit further uphill at the road dead end is a fairly popular place for parking lot bivies. Maybe just be discreet about it and it's okay?

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Sep 29, 2020 7:42 am 
I'll disagree. The large parking lot just a couple hundred feet beyond the upper lodge (which is certainly a trailhead for Bagely Lakes) is probably fine for RV camping. Hard to believe anyone would be around or care to hassle you. The whole loop is great if your 6 year old is into it, I've seen it done. Otherwise Artists Point out towards Ptarmigan maybe dropping down to Mazama Lake is a very easy dayhike.

JPH

JPH
PostTue Sep 29, 2020 7:54 am 
The Chain Lakes loop can definitely be done with kids. When my kids were 5 and 7 we did it where I dropped everyone off at Artist Point and they started hiking on the trail. I drove down to the lower lot and "ran" the section back up to Artist Point and caught them pretty quickly on the south side of Table Mtn. There was a bit of whining on the final stretch, but nothing terrible. up.gif

Hawkeye

Hawkeye
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 7:59 am 
Thanks all. I think the kids will be fine with the actual hiking - I even got them out backpacking up to Minotaur Lake and beyond in August. I'm just hoping the lot up there is ok for parking the camper for a night or two. Mom and baby want to come along, and it's nice starting out in the alpine (and sleeping in it). I couldn't find much info on camping at the trailhead in the lot and the national forest office for that district isn't picking up right now... Anyone know of car camping in that general area (or the next closest spot) if we get asked to move along? Thanks!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 9:02 am 
Hawkeye wrote:
Anyone know of car camping in that general area (or the next closest spot) if we get asked to move along?
Silver Fir CG is just a little bit down the road heading back toward Bham. Right before the road gets steep and winding. edit--Douglas Fir CG just outside the town of Glacier as well.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 10:30 am 
Hawkeye wrote:
couldn't find much info on camping at the trailhead in the lot
Before the Mt. Baker Ski Area opens you can park overnight in the big parking lot at Heather Meadows.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 12:48 pm 
The signs around Heather Meadows definitely say that it is a day-use area and prohibit overnight camping. I noted this when I slept in my car there in July, surrounded by other people sleeping in their cars and vans. clown.gif The rule doesn't appear to get much enforcement.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 1:29 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
The signs around Heather Meadows definitely say that it is a day-use area and prohibit overnight camping
I think that what the Forest Service intends is they don't want people camping out on the heather and other plants and leaving TP and beer cans all over the place. People camp in vehicles all the time there. I'm not sure if it is technically illegal or if the inside-a- vehicle overnighter would be subject to a fine (possibly). Definitely don't camp outside your vehicle and be sure to use the restrooms provided.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still