Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Lena Lake, Olympics 9.3.20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Sep 05, 2020 11:55 am 
I am hanging (parking) with a few friends over on this side so decided to do a hike whilst here. I was in Brinnon for a couple of days and the Lena lake trailhead was a short distance on good road. I had been here back in 2012 with my daughter doing the marmot survey...we camped at Upper Lena Lake and staged everyday out of there. It was a pleasant time with pleasant weather. I kinda sorta remember the trail being a bit tough but it was driven home this time. The topography dictates the limited places a trail can go here, especially on the last mile or so. This is not a trail to attempt an FKT. Sometimes very steep, rocky, rooty, brushy, and wet...with blowdowns. Don't misunderstand, it was, after all, a trail and not cross country. Sometimes sorta. But once on the quest, there was no turning back, so I endured to the lake, had a nice snack, refilled my bottle and beat feet. I ran into 4 backpackers who were surprised at the condition and ruggedness of the trail, especially carrying large packs. On the way down I came upon a solitary day hiker who told me she had to turn around due to heart arrhythmia. Since we were near the regular Lena Lake trail I stuck with her to the parking lot, just in case she needed assistance (I had my InReach). Although having to stop just a couple of times, all was OK and she had a relatively short drive to her home in Olympia (she was a semi retired nurse). Now I'll just chill with the rear doors open to the water this weekend, as the influx of cars to the peninsula was astounding on Friday. I'll save further hiking for next week and beyond. Stats: 16 miles/4200'
Wet fungus
Wet fungus
Upper Lena trail
Upper Lena trail
Upper Lena Lake
Upper Lena Lake

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 12:36 pm 
Neat trip WW! That one is a nice mini-adventure (at least with a day-pack). I especially like visiting it in the fall once the colors start changing (red berry plants, yellow vine maples) and frost first shows up.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message