Forum Index > Trip Reports > Local Mini-Slam: Snoqualmie - Lundin - Red
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
User-Name

User-Name
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 11:58 pm 
This is a really pretty, compact adventure that doesn't require much driving. Though all three peaks are great as individual hikes, stringing them together on a long, sunny, late-season afternoon was a blast! Some pix...
I don't have many nice things to say about the Snoqualmie summit trail.  The first mile from Alpental is a vertical root ladder; after that, it gets steep.  We were wise to pay our dues early, because after hitting the top, things just got better all day.  Morning summit pano from Snoqualmie...
I don't have many nice things to say about the Snoqualmie summit trail. The first mile from Alpental is a vertical root ladder; after that, it gets steep. We were wise to pay our dues early, because after hitting the top, things just got better all day. Morning summit pano from Snoqualmie...
Start your traverse on the backside of the connecting ridge to Lundin.  A handy ramp leads down from the ridge crest to easy ground. Take the ramp, and and you'll make speedy progress to the next objective,,,
Start your traverse on the backside of the connecting ridge to Lundin. A handy ramp leads down from the ridge crest to easy ground. Take the ramp, and and you'll make speedy progress to the next objective,,,
Our first good views of the airy and spectacular rock fin that is Lundin...
Our first good views of the airy and spectacular rock fin that is Lundin...
Planning our next moves: the start of the ridge is mainly class 3-4 until a final 5th class step at the top.  On a previous climb of this peak, Erick Johnson and I decided to forego the use of a rope, but today I asked my partner for a belay; I'm still getting over a fractured wrist and also experiencing the gradual onset of good sense as I enter my sixties.
Planning our next moves: the start of the ridge is mainly class 3-4 until a final 5th class step at the top. On a previous climb of this peak, Erick Johnson and I decided to forego the use of a rope, but today I asked my partner for a belay; I'm still getting over a fractured wrist and also experiencing the gradual onset of good sense as I enter my sixties.
Guillaume, a 5.10 veteran, makes really short work of the ridge...
Guillaume, a 5.10 veteran, makes really short work of the ridge...
...and tries a direct and exposed off-route variation near the top.
...and tries a direct and exposed off-route variation near the top.
Spotted another climber on the distant, true summit.  Once you make the ridge crest, it's a carry to the top.
Spotted another climber on the distant, true summit. Once you make the ridge crest, it's a carry to the top.
...a fun, blocky carry...
...a fun, blocky carry...
The Snoqualmie Alps...cancel that trip to Switzerland!
The Snoqualmie Alps...cancel that trip to Switzerland!
A group of hikers perched on the deproach ridge to Red.  Getting off Lundin is a matter of one quick rappel and a bit of class 2-3 scrambling.
A group of hikers perched on the deproach ridge to Red. Getting off Lundin is a matter of one quick rappel and a bit of class 2-3 scrambling.
Rope retrieval on the backside of Lundin...
Rope retrieval on the backside of Lundin...
The rap route is a series of solid bolts...
The rap route is a series of solid bolts...
Fun ridge hopping above the Commonwealth Valley...
Fun ridge hopping above the Commonwealth Valley...
Last goal of the day.  Halfway between Lundin and Red, I drank the last of my water; summitting Red would leave me badly parched.  An hour later, as I started to drink from its cool waters, the level of Commonwealth Creek visibly lowered.
Last goal of the day. Halfway between Lundin and Red, I drank the last of my water; summitting Red would leave me badly parched. An hour later, as I started to drink from its cool waters, the level of Commonwealth Creek visibly lowered.
Looking back at the full ridge from the upper slopes of Red...
Looking back at the full ridge from the upper slopes of Red...
Summit of Red, finish to a fantastic day in the hills!
Summit of Red, finish to a fantastic day in the hills!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 07, 2020 10:46 am 
I like your plan and that you had the skills to do a traverse over Lundin. In July we did a similar loop without summitting peaks via Cave Ridge - Snow Dome - and below Lundin. Finding a way to traverse from the Lundin basin over to the Red Pass trail was tenuous and had some "gulp" moments. We had a short rope with us but no gear so we opted not to go over Lundin when we got a close look at the western ridge. Your photos really show that off and makes me want to try it now.
Approximate route of how we connected passing below Lundin and the Red Mountain trail
Approximate route of how we connected passing below Lundin and the Red Mountain trail

User-Name

User-Name
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 am 
O nice! Yeah, I was poking around in that area a couple decades ago and stumbled over a signed cave entrance that looked incredibly scary. I know the spelunkers are a secretive lot, so I won't be more specific about the location---it just seemed to me that you'd have to be bonkers to drop into that hole! dizzy.gif

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 8:23 am 
That looks like it was a super fun day! Well done! The West ridge of Lundin looks nice and clean. Thanks for the great photos of it!