Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bailey Range Traverse -> Cameron/Grand - 31 Aug to 4 Sept
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 2:55 am 
"Sad to see the snow finger so close to extinction." The snow finger is seasonal. It's formed by snow that avalanches into the basin from above.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 10:25 am 
Trailhead wrote:
The snow finger is seasonal. It's formed by snow that avalanches into the basin from above.
True on how it's formed. But I've done the Bailey's a few times in Aug & Sept and each time the finger has been mostly intact up until the side trail breaks off to the right. And older late summer trip reports seem to indicate the same. So it's either seeing slow deterioration or this year is an anomaly. Or maybe I just caught in on good years!

graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 12:48 pm 
rmottenad wrote:
but we found quite a nice established site on the ridge straight S of No Name Lake.
You're lucky nobody showed up for that campsite - it's a "reservation only" site. I'm curious why you didn't go up the Heart Lake side - you probably could have made it to Cat Basin by going that direction.

The only easy day was yesterday...
rmottenad

rmottenad
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 pm 
graywolf wrote:
rmottenad wrote:
but we found quite a nice established site on the ridge straight S of No Name Lake.
You're lucky nobody showed up for that campsite - it's a "reservation only" site. I'm curious why you didn't go up the Heart Lake side - you probably could have made it to Cat Basin by going that direction.
Interesting, yes we were lucky, it was a Monday so that helped. To be honest I looked at the map and saw a ridge hike vs a forested hike until heart lake area and my appetite for views got the better of me. You’re totally right the Heart Lake approach would have been more direct and faster. I felt bad falling short but all’s well that ends well.

graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 am 
rmottenad wrote:
graywolf wrote:
rmottenad wrote:
Interesting, yes we were lucky, it was a Monday so that helped. To be honest I looked at the map and saw a ridge hike vs a forested hike until heart lake area and my appetite for views got the better of me. You’re totally right the Heart Lake approach would have been more direct and faster. I felt bad falling short but all’s well that ends well.
Glad it worked out for you - that is a spectacular site, even though it lacks water. And there is no doubt that the ridge traverse from above Deer Lake and Potholes over to the east end of the High Divide is very scenic. When I did the Baileys back in '76, we came up the Heart Lake side to Cat Basin, down the range, over Olympus, then back over the High Divide and out the Deer Lake Side. Your route was very ambitious, and kudos to you for an awesome trip. Your report and photos are great! Thanks for posting it.

The only easy day was yesterday...