Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fire closures: entire Suiattle watershed trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 12:06 pm 
Bears seem to hang out in our back yard. rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 4:39 pm 
This fire is really growing right now. Given its location, id guess it was probably a campfire? We need to ban idiots from our national forests.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 4:47 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
This fire is really growing right now. Given its location, id guess it was probably a campfire? We need to ban idiots from our national forests.
Would that include folks that can't be bothered to check facts before throwing out accusations?
USFS wrote:
On August 16th, 2020 the Downey Creek Fire in the Glacier Peak Wilderness was discovered. The predicted cause is from lightening. The Forest Service is currently monitoring and managing the fire due to limited access for firefighters in steep and cliffed out terrain.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices/?aid=61015

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 5:00 pm 
It was caused by a ... thunderhead?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 5:03 pm 
I guess i was wrong. One of those long smoldering fires that flares up much later huh?

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 5:12 pm 
Look at the photo I posted from Sep 1, a day after the area had heavy rain, to photo Randito posted on Sep 8, right when the hot weather was moving in and the stiff east winds were kicking up. Quite a difference. The fire started well before Sep 1 because when I hiked it that day, the Forest Service had already put up signs on the nearby trail heads warning people about the fire. The fire is a few hundred feet up from the valley floor (or at least was) so very unlikely started by campfire.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 9:49 am 
chiwakum wrote:
I did not encounter Sasquatch but that's probably because I'm not a true mountain man from Darrington and I did not take a short cut through some random drainage.
There's a special Mountain Man ritual you have to do to see Squatch. It's a rigorous trial, that few have been able to complete. It starts with 2 half gallons of whiskey, and by the time it's over, your sleeping bag will be in the campfire, and you will have only one boot. Then you will try to hike a different way back than you hiked in, because going back uphill is hard. It ends with you getting rescued a few miles from your car, and your friends telling the press how experienced you are, and it was only your expertise that saved you from death (and the guys that showed up with a helicopter also helped).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 am 
Funny! ^^^....I actually know the guy who lost his boot and burned his bag, although I have not seen him for many years. My brother in law was his room mate and my ex wife dated him, lol. His friend who was trying to relive a childhood trip to Cub lake was the "Trip Leader". doh.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 11:57 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Funny! ^^^....I actually know the guy who lost his boot and burned his bag, although I have not seen him for many years. My brother in law was his room mate and my ex wife dated him, lol. His friend who was trying to relive a childhood trip to Cub lake was the "Trip Leader". doh.gif
And of course anyone familiar with PNW natural history knows that the most reliably documented Squatch encounter occurred on his first trip to Cub lake.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 4:56 pm 
Downey fire grows to 1,000 acres Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 5:21 pm 
What's the deal!!? We got bigfoot reports comin' outta darrington vicinity??! Suiattle vicinities!!? We talkin' eye witness account here??? Reliable sightings?? Verified??? Foul play assumed?? Whats the deal!? Need to know!! Finding it VERY suspicious that they're closin' down all area access 'mmediately after this recent reliable bigfoot sighting!!! Clearly usin' the fire as an excuse to cover it up!! This is an outrage!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 6:06 pm 
For what it's worth, all Seattle parks and beaches are closed through the weekend.

Lindsay

Lindsay
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 6:51 pm 
Last I heard yesterday, the Downey Creek fire was growing and down along the Suiattle River Road. The fire had caused some trees to fall down on the road, blocking vehicle passage from the Suiattle TH. I learned of this situation yesterday while I was helping friends (via inReach messages) figure out where they should exit from their circumnavigation of Glacier Peak. I was talking with the Darrington wilderness ranger who had just learned of the downed tree update from the fire incident commander. The IC was uncertain when they would be able to safely clear the down trees from the road. My friends were able to exit via the Buck Creek trail and get picked up by other friends in the Leavenworth area. They are home now, but their car is still at the TH; and may be for a while. Looking at the Downey Creek fire on Caltopo is a bit concerning seeing hotspots in the vicinity of the parking lot and campground. I hope other parties have been able to exit safely.

snoholic

snoholic
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 11:08 pm 
Crazy, we exited Downey creek at about 8 pm Monday night after wrapping up the Ptarmigan. There was only a hint of smoke in the air at that time and we blamed it on California. There were still 3 other vehicles at the TH when we exited, I hope they found their way out.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 8:00 am 
Really bad news. See CalTopo. Looks like Sulphur Cr campground got hit - and it looks like there's activity on the Lime Ridge side of things (not sure if the satellite is picking up just smoke, or if there's fire there. One satellite has an asterisk over there, the other does not - anyone know how to read the map?)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert