Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat island mountain (7/17/21)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostMon Jul 19, 2021 11:23 pm 
I was hoping to find goats on goat island, but didn’t see any. I found tracks and great views instead. A great day in the National park! Glad we have views like this so close to home.
Had to walk a half mile to the TH. Should’ve got an earlier start, but I didn’t really plan this one so here we are…
Cross frying pan creek and head up the hillside
Heading up
Looking back
Up on the ridge
Looks like a really nice campsite
These waterfalls had me mesmerized
You feel so close to the mountain on this one it feels like you can just touch rainier
The gatekeeper of the ridge! You shall not pass without his permission!
Hidden glacier below
Up on the lower summit
Heading towards the main Summit
This ridge looked so cool, definitely a very beautiful walk over
First time I saw goat island was from that moraine lake below, here’s a picture of the mountain from that lake.
Summit proper
So this raven was flying over me while I was on summit. He was actually riding the wind current pretty well. After I took this picture I got a really awesome video of him flying through the mountains.
At this moment I had a choice. Either back track the 6 miles a came or do the 2 miles down directly off the back ridge of the mountain. I heard it was a bushwhack, so I was ready for whatever was to come….
One of my favorite moments of the the whole day
I found the Tracks of the goats
This is where I exited the ridge
Where I came down
I crossed this snowfield, and entered the bush, where I was met with pleasant forest meadowlands!
Not much of a bushwhack
The last 1000 feet where like this, there was a somewhat boot path through the forest but I Kept losing it just off my determination to go straight down
Hahaha I found the wonderland trail. I crossed the trail and entered the bush one more time. And popped out right where my car was parked. Couldn’t have planned that any better!
What a great day in the mountains!

Now I Fly, Bootpathguy, Bowregard, Randito, capbiker, mosey, jaysway, zimmertr, Nancyann, kw, reststep, awilsondc, RichP, neek  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 6:30 am 
What a beautiful trip. Made even better by the fact that you were prepared for a nasty bushwhack and instead got easy walking. Not the norm in the cascades by any means but welcome nonetheless, I'm sure. biggrin.gif Adding this one to the list for my next Rainier trip. up.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

TheWanderingIndian
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 7:07 am 
Now that's a great hike. I've done this with a buddy a few years ago--in reverse direction. It was quite an adventure--especially crossing Frying Pan Creek in the late afternoon. Well done. ~z

MojaveGeek, TheWanderingIndian
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 11:03 am 
I love your photos, TWI, especially the wildflowers in the meadows. Are you using a cell phone for picture taking or a camera?

TheWanderingIndian
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 12:26 pm 
Nice hike man and the pics are awesome!! That's funny we were up on the chimneys the same day you were on the island...man what a beautiful day to be alive! We were wondering about the route up that giant mound. The views are better than I thought they would be, this one just moved up the list! Cheers dood! rocker.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

TheWanderingIndian
TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 1:06 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
I love your photos, TWI, especially the wildflowers in the meadows. Are you using a cell phone for picture taking or a camera?
What’s twi?😂 but yes I use my cell phone for all my pictures! I have the iPhone 11, and it does really well. I bought it just for its camera!

TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 1:09 pm 
ozzy wrote:
this one just moved up the list! Cheers dood!
Hell yeah man go for it. It’s a nice loop to do when you want a peak but don’t want to work super hard for it. I don’t know if Ruth in that area is on your radar but I seen it from the island and now that one is on the list to ! Looks like a cool 8000 ft peak on the mountain!

TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 1:14 pm 
KascadeFlat wrote:
What a beautiful trip. Made even better by the fact that you were prepared for a nasty bushwhack and instead got easy walking. Not the norm in the cascades by any means but welcome nonetheless, I'm sure. biggrin.gif Adding this one to the list for my next Rainier trip. up.gif
Yeah I was shocked to find a trail, I was ready to battle some bush, didn’t do much battling at all haha! Dude I love your signature on your posts though. Call sld-aldr Is a good one!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 4:41 pm 
Well, TWI is you, of course! wink.gif

TheWanderingIndian
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 pm 
We hiked this loop the other direction about 2 years ago. I liked descending the S ridge from the summit with Rainier in view the whole time going that way, but of course crossing the creek later in the afternoon might prove to be tricky a little earlier in the year or after a snowier winter (aka now). Personally I thought the views of the Emmons Glacier can't be beat and this still ranks as a top hike in the park for me. Thanks for the report!

TheWanderingIndian, ozzy
walkrunwalk

walkrunwalk
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 12:44 am 
Hi there TheWanderingIndian, nice meeting you at the top of Goat Island Mountain. You inspired me to create a nwhikers.net account after just reading occasional trip reports here for years. Great photos, and I'm glad to see that the shortcut down was not so much of a bushwhack after all. Shocking! My trip back along the ridge was fantastic with Rainier front and center.

TheWanderingIndian
TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 7:14 am 
walkrunwalk wrote:
Hi there TheWanderingIndian, nice meeting you at the top of Goat Island Mountain. You inspired me to create a nwhikers.net account after just reading occasional trip reports here for years. Great photos, and I'm glad to see that the shortcut down was not so much of a bushwhack after all. Shocking! My trip back along the ridge was fantastic with Rainier front and center.
Hey Andy! Glad to see you made an account! The community here is special! Glad to hear your trip was super scenic! Happy trails, catch you on another one🤟🏼