Forum Index > Gear Talk > Boot Sole Separating - Best Repair Method?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jstluise

jstluise
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 11:02 pm 
Thanks, Ski. I overlooked the fact that Pliobond is a contact cement, so that's good to know. And it sounds like it can handle the flexing like Barge can (some contact cements warn about flexing the bond). Makes sense you have seen better results with it, but like you say it has to be in the right situation where you can apply it correctly (apply separately and let dry before joining). Bowregard, when you say 'contact cement' are you talking about a specific product (like DAP's Contact Cement you can get at Home Depot/Lowes) or just contact cement in general? DAP's product does not recommend applications where there is flexing, but if you used it on your kayak then apparently it can handle it. Perhaps a product formulated for flexing applications will give better results. My guess is that something like Barge or Pliobond is thinned out more than DAP which gives a thinner bond line that can handle more flexing. Total guess though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 11:39 pm 
Yes - the "Pliobond" is made for applications where the joint is going to be flexed. That's the reason I used it the first time: it was recommended for patching that Helly-Hansen rubber rain suit. I tore out the entire crotch bending over. I cut off the hood and used that for a patch and glued it with the "Pliobond" over the tear. That was about... 15 or 16 years ago when I was doing trail work up at Kalaloch. (18 years?) Still holding together quite well. YMMV.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja
PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:01 am 
Don’t know if this is helpful news, but the Trango Cubes are slated to stop being produced now as there is a new model arriving in April. I’ve sold the boot for awhile now and sometimes, due to its last, is the only thing that really fits certain people’s feet. Hope this helps w your choices. For instance, if this is the perfect fitting boot, I might recommend hunting down any that remain on close out before they all go away.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Sep 22, 2020 1:00 pm 
jstluise, I can't remember the brand of contact cement I used on the kayak but it was the only one I was aware of 40+ years ago. It was labelled "Contact Cement", smelled awful, and was probably terrible for my health. The kayak was really simple. Just 4 pieces of 1/4" plywood connected with canvas and Contact Cement. It stored flat and you just inserted two 3/4" plywood ribs to unfold it. The Contact Cement acted as a waterproofing coating for the 6-8" of unsupported canvas in the middle. The canvas strips must have been 10-12" wide so there was probably over 20 square feet of surface covered in Contact Cement which is a lot of vapor even with good ventilation. But it worked out well and stayed flexible enough to use for a number of years. I am going to have to try some of that pliobond. It sounds like a great tool to have when you need it. Thanks for the tip and I hope the OP's bond holds up.