Forum Index > Trip Reports > LaBohn, Hinman, Tanks via Necklace Valley w/ Daughters, Sept 2~5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 4:14 pm 
It's always fun to introduce kids to a new place even they are now all grownup. After I insisted on a midweek trip, they were able to adjust their vacation priorities. Even then we settled on a place close by given we drive separately. I've done the same route a few years ago in 3 days, this time we spent 4 days in a relaxed pace. Given recent car-break-in incidents, I was a bit nervous leaving our cars for 3 nights, but found them all untouched when we came back. The lot was about half full on this Wed. Forest stroll:
Since we took our time (slow going ;-), we decided to camp by Locket Lake which did not seem to have flat shore for camping and settled on a small lake before. A small army of mosquitoes were annoying in the evening.
Took us about 2 hours to arrive at the upper LaBohn Lake via the steep scramble route along the fall. The lake was beautiful but not many places to pitch three tents, we found a small dried-out pool still bit damp. There were three other groups camping in the lake proper by the evening.
direct to the LaBohn gap?
direct to the LaBohn gap?
After setting up our camp, we ventured up Hinman.
We stopped by the upper snow field below the summit.
In the evening when I was about to start filtering the water, my camera jumped into water! It got fully immersed in addition to bouncing on a granite under water. Despite its watertight claim, the camera refused to function almost a day until it dried out enough. Good thing it was a full-Moon night, i.e. no need for astro-photography. The back screen of my X-T2 never recovered for the rest of the trip. It was like taking pics on film, i.e. no quick review. Actually the next morning was very smokey from the Yakima fire, not great for photography. We just moved on to Tank Lakes traversing behind LaBohn peak.
My wife texted me about a small fire near Delta Lake across the valley and prepared to hike out if it threaten to spread across. It however appeared to stay small and we decided to stay for another night. The sunset was enhanced by the smoke though the local fire was not visible.
This was a Friday eve and there were 4 other groups near the lake. We camped in a rock field above the lake. The sky was clearer next morning.
We passed a stream of hikers on our way out, also heard choppers in the west mid afternoon, it was a rescue mission near Big Hear Lake...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 4:48 pm 
I did a very similar trip in mid to late July, only in reverse of your order. The lakes were still snowed over which was a bummer. Beautiful area though!
Kenji wrote:
stun.gif This is exactly what I was hoping for on my trip, but no such luck. Thank for capturing this beautiful image for us to enjoy!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:02 pm 
Yeah, that's an amazing shot, in addition to the rest of the eye candy. Well done (as always)!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:43 pm 
Kenji wrote:
Great shot! I once saw a wolverine - the only one I've ever seen - disappearing into that mound of rocks in the center of your photo, at the far end of the lake.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 9:15 am 
Awesome photos and report