Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dogs Goats and Bears
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 10:07 am 
I was involved in the incident Scott wrote about. It came in as a SpotX SOS. it took some time to determine what exactly the problem was. The messages were slow and mostly gibberish text. On a side note I have dealt with Inreach SOS incidents and they are much easier to work with. Once we learned it was a stranded dog it was pretty straight forward. Except for the very long hike. WASART is the primary responder for animal related incidents. KCSAR will assist them. The dog, a 120 Lb Akita named Bear had run after some goats and of course the goats just wandered away. It was never clear if the dog was unleashed or if he was able to break away from his owner when he took off after the goats.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 10:22 am 
Most dog owners will be glad to explain to you why the rules apply to other dogs but not their dog. Hence all the unleashed dogs and dog crap bags all over the place.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 10:41 am 
car68 wrote:
I was involved in the incident Scott wrote about. It came in as a SpotX SOS. it took some time to determine what exactly the problem was. The messages were slow and mostly gibberish text. On a side note I have dealt with Inreach SOS incidents and they are much easier to work with.
I've been meaning to get one of these devices. Thanks for posting this. Very helpful.

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 11:57 am 
With an Inreach the IERCC GEOS coordination center can forward a smart phone # to the user. They can then text directly to emergency responders. It's pretty quick too. The Spot doesn't do that. All messages are sent to IERCC. We have to call them to get the info each time. It's more cumbersome and time consuming. Makes a big difference. Are we responding to an uninjured dog over a cliff or a drowning victim in an alpine lake? Both were started as SOS calls.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 8:36 pm 
MangyMarmot wrote:
Most dog owners will be glad to explain to you why the rules apply to other dogs but not their dog. Hence all the unleashed dogs and dog crap bags all over the place.
Bingo. Rules apply to everyone else and not me and my Rover - "everyone likes my old Rover, he wouldn't hurt a fly."

neek

neek
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 7:12 am 
The poop bag phenomenon is at least one thing we can probably get universal agreement on. Leashes, well, all I will say is that there exist nonempty sets H (of humans) and D (of dogs) for which leashes (and, perhaps, muzzles and shock collars) would be more appropriately applied to all members of H than to D.

Brian R

Brian R
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 11:12 am 
scottk wrote:
For those of you who carry a gun to protect yourself from Washington bears, another 6 of the bear attacks occurred because someone shot a bear and approached them, only to discover that the bear was very much alive and actually quite pissed off. That leaves only three unprovoked bear attaches in Washington State, and one of those involved a man with two dogs on a leash. Bottom-line, Washington State bears are generally quite harmless as long as you leave the dogs and guns at home.
Do you have any data to back up your assertion re the "6 bear attacks?" I suspect most hikers who do carry guns don't do so because of bears, rather, because of two-legged predators that occasionally frequent trailhead parking lots. In any event, you have made an overtly political statement in your last sentence. Frankly, I'm conflicted about dogs in the outdoors. What we now call wilderness is, in fact, a highly pacified version. Built paths laid out before us, properly drained, manicured, bridges, faux pavers--and the apex canine predator hunted into extinction almost 100 years ago. Let's face it, wilderness here in the lower 48 is, by and large, canned. Some off-route excursions excepted. So if a dog chases a bear or a goat and gets its ass kicked from time to time, well, it's really just another manifestation of this distorted fantasy we now call wilderness.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 12:00 pm 
Brian R wrote:
"... it's really just another manifestation of this distorted fantasy we now call wilderness..."
lol.gif up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 12:39 pm 
neek wrote:
there exist nonempty sets
hihi.gif By golly, between that one and car68 showing up, this thread is redeemed! biggrin.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Fullripbrian

Fullripbrian
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 12:40 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Do you have any data to back up your assertion re the "6 bear attacks?"
The linked article in the Times specifically refers to “hunters” when it mentions the six incidences Involving firearms. It’s a legal/moral requirement to get up close and personal with an animal that has been hunted. In a scenario with a defensive use of a weapon against an animal, it doesn’t make much sense to literally go up and poke the bear.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 12:56 pm 
neek wrote:
Leashes, well, all I will say is that there exist nonempty sets H (of humans) and D (of dogs) for which leashes (and, perhaps, muzzles and shock collars) would be more appropriately applied to all members of H than to D.
up.gif Could not have said it better.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 1:16 pm 
neek wrote:
I will say is that there exist nonempty sets H (of humans) and D (of dogs) for which leashes (and, perhaps, muzzles and shock collars) would be more appropriately applied to all members of H than to D.
Sounds like you've met my ex.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 1:21 pm 
Randito wrote:
"Emotional Support Animals" don't qualify as "Service Animals" . Public areas are not required to accommodate them.
This isn't correct. Ask any landlord. I'm not fully versed in the legalities, and the Rental Housing Assn of WA (RHA-WA) has a whole class on it that I probably ought to take. If someone has a "service animal", the landlord isn't even allowed to ask what the disability is, if it's not obvious. Landlords can get into a heap of expensive trouble challenging someone. The ESA claim is probably abused more in connection with rental housing than on airlines; I never thought of scofflaws using it as an excuse in the NPs and wilderness areas. There's a whole industry hawking fake certifications, ESA ID jackets, etc. I'd bet 75% of the ESA claims are totally bogus. I even have a relative doing it. Aren't all pets emotional support animals? huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 2:10 pm 
Warning: graphic footage https://www.facebook.com/alpinescience/videos/1896257187132258/

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 2:32 pm 
car68 wrote:
It was never clear if the dog was unleashed or if he was able to break away from his owner when he took off after the goats.
Kinda difference without a distinction. In the end it is the owner's responsibility. I have sympathy for dog owners and their dogs, but I still maintain the trouble the dogs cause and/or get into is the fault of the owners themselves. If the SAR teams risk their lives for animals like this, then that is their choice to do so. Fire departments, police, and animal control all do similar to a degree for animals in town and the surrounds. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."