Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 2:43 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Randito wrote:
"Emotional Support Animals" don't qualify as "Service Animals" . Public areas are not required to accommodate them.
This isn't correct. Ask any landlord. I'm not fully versed in the legalities, and the Rental Housing Assn of WA (RHA-WA) has a whole class on it that I probably ought to take. If someone has a "service animal", the landlord isn't even allowed to ask what the disability is, if it's not obvious.
Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal? A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.. So you can ask what work the dog does. On the other hand ... Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA? A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 5:42 am 
Could be worse you could drag your dog off on a leash when not on a trail like one of the members on here. That's pure punishment to the dog. How would he like to be leashed everywhere he went? All dogs were domesticated from wolves. Their natural behavior is to be in the wild.

Gil

Gil
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 6:18 am 
Well, I wouldn't want to be neutered or spayed, either. The rules are rules for a reason. So keep your dog on a leash, and carry out its poop.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Dharmabum

Dharmabum
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 3:35 pm 
"Could be worse you could drag your dog off on a leash when not on a trail like one of the members on here. That's pure punishment to the dog. How would he like to be leashed everywhere he went? IMO" https://www.thesprucepets.com/anthropomorphism-1118402

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:55 pm 
Gil wrote:
Well, I wouldn't want to be neutered or spayed, either. The rules are rules for a reason. So keep your dog on a leash, and carry out its poop.
Are you the guy that tried to tell me my dog's poop isn't the best fertilizer this trail has ever seen? mad.gif I told him you bag it up and take it home if you don't think it should be here.

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 7:11 pm 
Q: What's worse than dog poop on a trail? A: A plastic baggie full of dog poop on a trail. For the life of me, I just don't understand this. At all.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 8:03 pm 
This are stinky little cairns to help people find their way back.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue Sep 22, 2020 7:31 am 
Brian R wrote:
Q: What's worse than dog poop on a trail? A: A plastic baggie full of dog poop on a trail. For the life of me, I just don't understand this. At all.
Totally agree! Yesterday I was on the McClellans Butte trail for about an hour. On my way back (only gone an hour) and there were two new bags of poop sitting on the trail. I’d like to think that whoever dropped them there did indeed pick them up on the way back.

scottk

scottk
PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 am 
Brian R wrote:
Do you have any data to back up your assertion re the "6 bear attacks?" I suspect most hikers who do carry guns don't do so because of bears, rather, because of two-legged predators that occasionally frequent trailhead parking lots. In any event, you have made an overtly political statement in your last sentence.
I did reference the Seattle Times article which references the Fish and Wildlife Department data. I suppose I could have taken a deeper dive into the data but I left that to others that might have more time on their hands. When you characterize my last sentence as "political" I assume you are referring to the gun reference. It wasn't meant to be political but I do find some humor in the irony that people consider dogs and guns protection against bears. There are many good reasons to own and carry a gun or bring your dog on a hike, but protection from Washington State bears is not one of them. I recent met a guy on the trail who carried both bear spray and a rifle for protection from bears and cougars. I don't have any data for cougar attacks except I know they have attacked people in the Cascade foothills, likely due to habitat loss and starvation, although I speculate. That aside, I think there are many people who have an unwarranted fear of bears in Washington State. As a side note, my friend recently did a 3 day hike through the north cascades and saw 7 bears, one of which tried to steal his food while they were packing up in the morning. Fortunately, banging poles and shouting scared the bear off before he got the food.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 5:49 am 
scottk wrote:
I don't have any data for cougar attacks except I know they have attacked people in the Cascade foothills, likely due to habitat loss and starvation, although I speculate.
Yes you do speculate

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 6:05 am 
scottk wrote:
As a side note, my friend recently did a 3 day hike through the north cascades and saw 7 bears, one of which tried to steal his food while they were packing up in the morning. Fortunately, banging poles and shouting scared the bear off before he got the food.
Many years ago, I woke up to a commotion in camp (Boy Scout camp in Minnesota). Poked my head out of the tent in time to see the scout master in his underwear, chasing a black bear with a stick. Bear had one of our coolers in its mouth. Yup, he got the cooler back, but now it had several holes in it. Quite a funny sight! lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Gil

Gil
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 7:06 am 
Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 9:56 am 
Vesper Peak
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 4:58 pm 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/10-years-after-his-wife-daughter-were-killed-on-hike-lack-of-answers-haunts-north-seattle-man/ This is why I carry- not because of bears.
No kidding. And add to that, hunters are often the victims of grizzly maulings, even having a gun does not mean you will be safe from attack. I mean, who carries a gun all ready to shoot - bears can surprise attack. I do not hike/backpack in grizzly country (mostly because I do so in cascades below Steven's pass). The black bears I encounter are mostly skittish - but there is risk there too if you get between a mama bear and her cubs, or a bear that has become habituated to associate humans with food. Saw 4 bears on our Wonderland trail hike last week.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 pm 
So when are we going to get around to talking about people who tame mountain goats and ride them up the steep parts of the trail? Because that's much harder than it sounds.