Forum Index > Trail Talk > Abysmal air quality at Mt. St. Helens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 11:39 am 
I decided on Wednesday to drive up towards Mt. St. Helens and see what I could see. Turns out, not much! If anything air quality was even worse than in the lowlands. Hiking was absolutely out of the question, so I spent the afternoon flying my drone along Spirit Lake Highway to document the downright creepy atmosphere. I sure payed for it later when I returned home reeking of smoke, my throat and lungs aching despite wearing a mask. Fortunately, air quality is better today, though still poor compared to pre-fire days. I also captured some aerial panoramas, which I've posted in a photo gallery on my blog: https://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/2020/09/bridges-in-smoke-mt-st-helens-aerial.html

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jcocci

jcocci
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 1:22 pm 
Great video and creepy music goes with it perfectly. Any issues flying the drone in the smoke? Love those panos too. I love taking panos with my drone.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 2:00 pm 
There's a big fire burning near there, so it doesn't surprise me the air quality was worse than here. I think it's called the Big Hollow Fire?

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 3:07 pm 
Yea I hiked the no lake view trail above priest lake yesterday, but I couldn’t smell any smoke and my lungs felt good, so things are improving.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 1:49 am 
jcocci wrote:
Great video and creepy music goes with it perfectly. Any issues flying the drone in the smoke? Love those panos too. I love taking panos with my drone.
Thanks! The drone itself didn't have any issues with the smoke, though I should probably clean it out as much as possible with some compressed air. The main problem I had was with video transmission - any more than 400 feet away and the signal started to degrade due to the interference of all the particle in the air.
Hiker Mama wrote:
There's a big fire burning near there, so it doesn't surprise me the air quality was worse than here. I think it's called the Big Hollow Fire?
Yep, Trapper Creek/Siouxan area, but I think most of the smoke is actually from Oregon. Big Hollow would be a big fire any other year, but it's nothing compared to what's happened down South.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/