Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wind River resource?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 11:26 am 
I have kids in the Wind River range right now (Big Sandy Area) and they gave me some locations. I would like to find a resource that provides photos, information, and trip reports about the areas they are travelling in. Any good resources you can point me to?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KJR

KJR
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 12:29 pm 
Try backcountrypost.com. Fabulous trip reports there.

around the next corner
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 11, 2022 10:01 pm 
My partner and I are planning to go to the winds again this year and am trying to decide the best time of the year. We have been there twice, late July and August. I was thinking it might be good to go right after labor day, way less people and bugs....but of course the drawback is the greater chance of storms and cold. Thoughts?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Mar 12, 2022 9:11 am 
That is a great time to go. Be prepared for cold nights. We have had nights that dipped well into the teens. We have also had nearly a foot of snow fall overnight, but that was later in September. One trip we had a week where the highest daytime temp we measured was 34 and the lowest nighttime temp was 13. Then we had 4 glorious days. Despite the storm risk I think September is my preferred time for The Winds.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Mar 12, 2022 9:06 pm 
I think the storm risk is worth it, I mean a storm can come in in late August or anytime really at that altitude. Good thing I didn't sell my 0 degree bag and my down booties. I grew up in ND, so I can stand a bit of cold.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 10:37 am 
Hope your going for the full meal deal.. 6 or 7 nights is perfect...we did 1 n.past photo.point...then DOWNHILL & up a little for 2 nights on the.. East side of Lester.. pass (not cook lakes)... Then titcomb for 2 nights..and overnight out from there (why kill yourself for 13miles?) 6 nights easy...although that labor day storm with 80mph.winds,snow.. did delay us for a total of 7 nights...looked like a bomb went off.. Super nice down bags for rent.at the outdoor gear shop in pinedale! That loop is frikk. in amazing

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 2:40 pm 
Fremont Peak summit views are memorable. From Indian Basin (Southeast side of Titcomb Basin), then work the southwest slope. Top 1,000' a moderate scramble.

Off trail rambler
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 3:49 pm 
Of course the other thing to consider in September: Smoke.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 5:12 pm 
We had smoke last summer in August. Gnome, Dylan wants to do the loop up past Dad's lake, up to Pyramid lake and out through the Cirque of the Towers. The fishing was way better up that trail than the Titcomb Basin. Plus we can fish Washaki creek as well.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 9:14 pm 
Ah it's all great there!...up & over Texas pass I take it...good plan for a loop... There was a route coming from the west towards Texas pass (the winds high route?) From Washakie pass or other side of the crest.. I have seen some good pics of the lakes b4 Texas pass.. I'm curious about a high camp west of pass.. Google Earth would help choose a high camp near texas pass... It all goes in the winds!! We're either horse dropping or do the hike past titcomb to upper jean..then elbow lake.. Hear the trail out to spring creek park is still obliterated past glimpse? Lake. ( To summit lake)... Still would luv a horse ride to before pyramid lake..over the pass and loop out Washakie pass..bear/ranger park on the north side of loop looks remote!... The valley with 3 lakes on the left of pyramid is great..I solo hike a full day in there, scouting for the x.c.over to bonneville basin.. We may try for bonneville basin from west..and loop through past pronghorn pk...mmmmm. Long 15m.out to scab creek after the loop.. No peopole either...?

freshout

freshout
PostTue Mar 15, 2022 8:31 pm 
I was there last year the week prior to Labor Day. Night temps hovering around freezing. No bugs really. A couple big storms rolled through but they were mostly fun. More crowded than I anticipated but was able to find a lot of solitude too. Amazing place. The altitude was harder to adjust to than anticipated. This book was excellent for planning. Beyond Trails in The Wind River Mountains of Wyoming https://www.amazon.com/dp/0985659092/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_6HT5BFHVJGNFCN3N6ZTQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 15, 2022 8:35 pm 
Thanks! I guess I am lucky, on my two trips I have had no issues with the altitude and I am old and out of shape.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Mar 15, 2022 10:54 pm 
We usually leave wed...camp in montana.. Arrive thursday In pinedale.around 3 or 4 pm.. Stay that night and friday car camp Hike sat to sat..7 perfect nights..back to log cabin motel (or the other one they have down the street)...Sat night.. Eat at the burger place just outside of town..and drive sun/to Montana car camping..home monday!!..... For me I think paitience plays a huge role there..and being flexible with plans..everything is soooo good it doesn't really matter where ua go... Thi's summer will b my 5th trip and really just starting to see big remote loops on & off trails..

RodF