Forum Index > Gear Talk > Near Vision
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 10:49 am 
As we get older we all begin to lose our visions ability to focus from far to near (called Accomodation). This is the reason for racks of reading glasses and prescription bifocal types. I’ve been using multi-focus contact lens for two years now. These return your vision to a completely normal state. My distance vision is corrected, and I can read small type and easily use the computer. My reading prescription is staggered 0.25 deliberately to provide a larger reading zone. If you haven’t considered multi-focus contacts, your optometrist could set you up with a week or two trial set at your next appointment.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 11:47 pm 
Thank you for the reminder about these. I am seeing my eye-doc this week and will keep this in mind.

Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Jan 26, 2021 11:12 am 
I used to wear contacts (I'm near-sighted) and used reading glasses. Now I wear two different contacts. One is corrected for near vision, for reading. The other contact is corrected for distance, for driving. After about a week, the mind sorts out which eye to use for different distances and all seems normal. If I recall correctly, my doctor called this "monovision".

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jan 30, 2021 2:36 pm 
Downhill wrote:
... my doctor called this "monovision".
I'm amazed that any optometrist/opthalmologist would set you up for that deliberately. I was born with monovision (or at least had acquired it by the 5th grade). I discovered it while at the movies one afternoon. Rubbed one eye and suddenly the screen went blurry. Huh?? My far-sighted eye wasn't bad enough to need correcting until I was in my 30's. One disadvantage to monovision is that it impairs your depth perception at night. I drove schoolbus for part of a season and they have more vision tests than are required for your regular driver's license - I couldn't pass the depth perception test. Suddenly it made sense why I was so nervous driving on highways where there were no streetlights, and it was hard to tell about oncoming traffic. But it's true that your brain compensates really well for the disparity, in daylight, anyway.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 pm 
I wish I had near vision.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 pm 
I think we're referring to presbyopia. I tried some bifocal lenses when I was fly fishing so I could tie on small flies and they made it difficult to wade, or even walk, due to the weird double image. Are these multi-focal glasses different somehow, or do they just fade the different focal lengths together?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Feb 09, 2021 11:07 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I think we're referring to presbyopia.
Yep. My progressive lens glasses work to about 10 inches. For closer work I have a pair of off-the-rack reading glasses. For really close work I have a 10x magnifier that clips to my glasses. I can still read a book without glasses, with adequate light.

Frango

Frango
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 3:08 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I'm amazed that any optometrist/opthalmologist would set you up for that deliberately.
Mono vision is a common deliberate treatment - if your brain can get used to it, it works like a hot damn. My mother wore 2 different lenses for years. I had mono vision created accidentally years ago when I had lasik surgery - one eye was under corrected slightly. Well Lo and behold, I didn’t need the reading glasses that my surgeon told me I’d require. The brain is an amazing thing - AFAICT, my depth perception is fine. It worked so well for me that when I had to have cataract surgery last year, I kept the under corrected right eye.