Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier Peak Circumnav (w/ Clark, Butterfly Butte, Louis Creek HR), 8/24-8/28
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jupsal

jupsal
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
My Navy pilot friend says they sometimes go through passes inverted, the better to see the ground!
The jet we saw flying over the Buck-Luahna pass flew over inverted. Quite a sight.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
triad

triad
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 9:07 pm 
Thanks everyone!
Brushbuffalo wrote:
I once came close to setting a world record for the standing high jump when a jet came out of nowhere while I was in the headwaters of Milk Creek. The pilot in the following jet must have laughing hard before I even hit the ground.
I've done the same. Last year going up the Napeequa valley, when a jet suddenly flew low overhead, I jumped and dove to the ground without even thinking.
Shred wrote:
I ran into you guys just below High Pass. Some nice country you traveled.👌
Oh yeah, you were the first person we saw on the trip! Cool to run into some nwhikers in the wild haha

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 9:52 pm 
Triad, re: your comment on my trip report about what the glacier would have looked like many years ago; there are some cool old photos you may have already seen on page 150 and 153 of Beckey’s Cascade Alpine Guide for Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass. It’s an aerial photograph of the area you covered from Clark down to Butterfly Butte.

triad

triad
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 3:54 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Triad, re: your comment on my trip report about what the glacier would have looked like many years ago; there are some cool old photos you may have already seen on page 150 and 153 of Beckey’s Cascade Alpine Guide for Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass. It’s an aerial photograph of the area you covered from Clark down to Butterfly Butte.
Oh cool! I'll have to track down a copy and check those out!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 4:28 pm 
stun.gif Wow, great report!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Stuke Sowle

Stuke Sowle
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 2:33 pm 
Incredible route, report and pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 5:09 pm 
What a beautiful trip! The Kennedy bridge looks about the same as when I was there in 2013, I was sure it wouldn't be there much longer then. That's one tenacious bridge!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 6:56 am 
triad wrote:
interesting contours
interesting contours
A question to BrushBuffalo (or anyone who has an opinion on the appearance of the ground here): this appears to me to probably be contoured due to the melt of a long gone glacier, but it doesn't really look like the area was at the foot of a glacier though. So why the several "islands" instead of one stream do you suppose? Is this maybe the downhill side of a moraine and the glacier melted out along the sides as well as the foot? I *really* wish I were able to explore out there often enough to see more of the Cascades...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 7:43 am 
moonspots wrote:
question to BrushBuffalo (or anyone who has an opinion on the appearance of the ground here):
You thinking in the right way, Moonspots. There was a glacier there, long gone now, and in the latest stages it was a shelf glacier, wider than long. It would have had several meltwater streams originating from within and pouring out from its front. Each stream flowed down a relatively steep slope and eroded a slight, minor gorge, with an intervening minor ridge between each two 'gorges'. Once the pattern formed it persists to this day....a runaway feedback process. An important point is that these parallel ridges and gullies are in sediment rather than bedrock, the sediment being much more prone to rapid erosion. That's my theory.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 9:04 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
...and in the latest stages it was a shelf glacier, wider than long.
Ok that explains it, I didn't even think of a "shelf" glacier. The only ones I've seen are long-ish, similar to a river. Thanks.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
triad

triad
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 3:55 pm 
Snuffy wrote:
What a beautiful trip! The Kennedy bridge looks about the same as when I was there in 2013, I was sure it wouldn't be there much longer then. That's one tenacious bridge!
Wow, I can't believe that bridge has survived the early season snowmelt for so many years! The Canyon Creek bridge off of Highway 20 washed away after just one season of being like that.
moonspots wrote:
triad wrote:
interesting contours
interesting contours
A question to BrushBuffalo (or anyone who has an opinion on the appearance of the ground here): this appears to me to probably be contoured due to the melt of a long gone glacier, but it doesn't really look like the area was at the foot of a glacier though. So why the several "islands" instead of one stream do you suppose? Is this maybe the downhill side of a moraine and the glacier melted out along the sides as well as the foot? I *really* wish I were able to explore out there often enough to see more of the Cascades...
I was also wondering about these. Thanks for the explanation Brushbuffalo!

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 6:49 pm 
Nice trip! Way to bag Butterfly Butte the hard way. I've been meaning to get back in there when the larches turn. Good reminder and excellent photos.

MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 4:09 pm 
Thanks for the great trip report and pictures. I was going to head up to Clark Mtn myself in a few days and was wondering just how brushy the White river trail is currently? MLH

triad

triad
PostSat Oct 03, 2020 12:12 am 
MidLifeHiker wrote:
Thanks for the great trip report and pictures. I was going to head up to Clark Mtn myself in a few days and was wondering just how brushy the White river trail is currently? MLH
We only took the first four miles of the White River trail until you hit the turnoff for the trail towards Boulder Pass. Those first four miles of the White River trail were perfectly good though. Once we turned off onto the Boulder Creek trail it was maybe slightly brushier, but still fine trail all the way up into the Boulder Creek basin.