Forum Index > Trip Reports > Robinson Mountain - 9/20/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
geyer

geyer
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 12:05 pm 
Date: September 20, 2020 Distance: 13.3 miles Gross Elevation Gain: 6600 ft Humans Seen: 2 (hello Westy & Nastassia if you read these) I wasn't really planning on writing a trip report for this one, but since no one else seems to be stepping up to the plate with their larches, I'll fill in... hockeygrin.gif To be honest, I don't have much to add that hasn't been covered in previous TRs, so this is more of a photo dump than anything. Kyle and I started from the Robinson Creek trailhead around 8:25am, heading up to Robinson Mountain. We saw a bear across the valley on Robinson Creek. From there, you turn up a surprisingly good trail next to Beauty Creek and find your way to the tarn.
saw a bear in the valley
saw a bear in the valley
silver star poking out
silver star poking out
cloudy still morning meant a cool larch reflection
cloudy still morning meant a cool larch reflection
From the tarn, we started our way up to the ridge traverse where our pace was surpassed by Westy & Nastassia (who we didn't know). Kyle yelled at them "WE GET IT, YOU'RE FAST" which made me laugh a bit, but I don't think they heard him.
We shared the summit and enjoyed the views for a while before heading down.
has this face of Osceola been skied?
slate peak
slate peak
cave in the distance
cave in the distance
On the way back to the tarn, it was cool to watch Westy & Natassia traverse the ridge through my zoom lens from a distance. Then we had a nice scree ski down to the tarn.
spot the humans
spot the humans
kyle making things difficult
kyle making things difficult
Back at the tarn:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 12:20 pm 
Cool tarn shots. Did you find the class 3 section going up Robinson to be easy with lots of good holds? Or not easy?
Quote:
I don't know about skiied, but I glissaded it once with my corgi (McGonigle) under one arm and a camera in the other hand. I would post the video but I had the lense cap on the whole time. I was going to climb back up and do it again but McGonigle said "no way pal". He's usually up for anything but he got Crypto from drinking out of a lake and still hasn't forgiven me. Edit: Silverstar! Dang. That shot of the north side is brooding, smoldering, epic. Silverstar.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 2:13 pm 
Great larches and nice green tarn. I've only seen it when ice- bound.
geyer wrote:
That's some big air agree.gif into the 'heated' pool! shakehead.gif
geyer wrote:
That is an outstanding picture. It is way more interesting with the clouds and play of light and shadow than if on a clear day.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
geyer

geyer
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 5:16 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
Did you find the class 3 section going up Robinson to be easy with lots of good holds? Or not easy?
Easy. I would say the hardest part of Robinson was going down the top of the choss-field above the tarn. It's gotten popular enough that all the scree has been pushed down from there, so you're just left with ball bearings on hard pack.
Brushbuffalo wrote:
That is an outstanding picture. It is way more interesting with the clouds and play of light and shadow than if on a clear day.
Thanks! Silverstar was really enticing from that angle. The glacier is bigger than I thought it would be, but still pretty depressing... And yes, Kyle has perfected the art of the cannonball

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 8:04 pm 
Great report! I'm glad you posted this. I loved the cannonball sequence and the GIF you posted online, although it looks like Kyle gets a little into the back seat on that cannon ball. Typical skier... wink.gif lol.gif (actually I thought it was a fine cannon ball, I'll go A-)

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 am 
geyer wrote:
the hardest part of Robinson was going down the top of the choss-field above the tarn.
Secret tip: when snow is gone continue down the ridge to skier's right for another half mile or so until you come to a low notch. From the notch it is a steep but easier descent to the tarn. It also works for the ascent.

geyer

geyer
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 5:22 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
geyer wrote:
the hardest part of Robinson was going down the top of the choss-field above the tarn.
Secret tip: when snow is gone continue down the ridge to skier's right for another half mile or so until you come to a low notch. From the notch it is a steep but easier descent to the tarn. It also works for the ascent.
Further than what the picture I posted shows? The way we went felt like a notch and was pretty steep the top 100 feet or so.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 5:40 pm 
The notch I like is further along the ridge than where I think you used. Anyway, it is where the tarn is toward your NE more than the Southeast. Next trip?

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 5:51 pm 
Beautiful pics. Nice to see what it looks like in Sept

Eric Eames
Stuke Sowle

Stuke Sowle
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 2:17 pm 
Great shots! I should have waited later in the month to get those larches turning instead of doing it early in September. For some reason, I had in my mind that this was going to be an at times, unpleasant climb but found it quite enjoyable throughout. Even the scree field seemed pretty tame but that might be due to that nasty gully I did the day before climbing Ravens Ridge. The exposed bit did get my heart rate up a bit though!

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Sep 29, 2020 7:37 pm 
Very Cool report! I tried Robinson last year, but had to bail because of incoming t-cells. I was on the ridge before the summit and it sucked having to bail. javascript:emoticon('waah.gif') Better safe.... Well done! btw< I'm keen on trips to Beauty, and Devis Peak. javascript:emoticon('agree.gif')