Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Jim Loop (Badlands HP -> Big Jim -> Big Lou) 9/20/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:48 pm 
Ozzy and I teamed up to tackle Big Jim in the Chiwaukum Mountains on Sunday. In researching the area, we got the idea to head up from the Hatchery Creek Trailhead and take the trail into the Badlands and climb Big Jim from the Big Jim Mountain Lakes area and add on Big Lou if we felt up for it. This would make for a nice loop of the area, always a joy as opposed to the usual out and back. We met up at a park and ride at 12:30 am, feeling a little rough. I had tried to get about 4 hours of sleep before leaving my house but just laid there the whole time, unable to fall asleep. I figured it would catch up with me and it eventually did. We drove to the trailhead which had a rough uphill section of road a couple miles from the TH that gave me difficulty. It took three or four tries to get up this deep rutted uphill section. I had the clearance but my tires kept losing traction. It was one of the gnarlier things I've put my Outback through but it was short and the rest of the road decent. We saw 2 passenger vehicles up at the TH. Kudos to them for getting past that part! It was much easier on the way down. By 3:35 am we were hiking up the trail by headlamp. On the hike up we heard some noise in the brush, some kind of animal... I passed a tent 5 feet off the trail, up on a hill. It caught me by surprise and I turned to alert Ozzy. He had bear on his mind from the noise we heard earlier and was checking the route on his phone when he too was startled by the tent, audibly startled thinking it was a bear! He woke up the guy in the tent with his startled yell, but apologized. A voice from the tent said "you're good" and we were on our way. We missed our trail junction and decided to head off trail after grabbing a snack. It was cold and eerie walking through the dead forest from the '14 Chiwaukum Creek Fire. We layered up and took off down steep burned forest en route to Battle Creek and The Badlands beyond. (How bad ass does that sound?!?!) We soon found the trail, which was littered with blow downs and mildly difficult to follow by headlamp. We stopped and filled up on water at Battle Creek since we weren't sure where we'd have water the rest of the trip. The trail to the Badlands High Point was a nice gentle ridge. Dawn had arrived and we turned our headlamps off. The dawn broke a pumpkin orange, and with the chill in the air and the fall colors and dead forest around, it really felt like Halloween to me. We reached the summit shortly after sunrise.
Dawn breaks
Dawn breaks
Sunrise draws near
Sunrise draws near
The Badlands
The Badlands
Dead forest
Dead forest
Life after the burn
Life after the burn
Charred
Charred
Grouse
Grouse
Ozzy taking note of the sunrise
Ozzy taking note of the sunrise
Big Jim
Big Jim
Sunrise from Badlands High Point
Sunrise from Badlands High Point
The trip was really starting to get good, and was about to get even better! We decided to head down to Big Jim Mountain Lakes and head for the summit from the upper lake. Shortly after leaving the summit we found a trail that took us right to the lakes. What a cool area! There were a couple campers at the lower lake, but the upper lake was deserted. We stopped there for a snack. After breakfast we started up a gully for the final 1300 ft of gain to the summit. The gully was a decent route. It was loose, but not horrible... typical mountain stuff. On top of the gully we found a talus field that we would take to the summit. The talus field was surprisingly stable, but still a talus field. We reached the summit just after 9:00 am, ~5:30 from the trailhead. Most of the peaks had clouds around their summits, but we had some views. We relaxed for a bit. I had been feeling great so far despite going on zero hours of sleep. Ozzy asked if I wanted to go for Big Lou, and I definitely did. He was game so we headed off down the SW ridge.
Off to the lakes
Off to the lakes
Lower Big Jim Mountain Lake w/ Big Jim
Lower Big Jim Mountain Lake w/ Big Jim
Morning in paradise
Morning in paradise
Upper Big Jim Mountain Lake
Upper Big Jim Mountain Lake
Larchy reflection
Larchy reflection
Departing upper Big Jim Mountain Lake
Departing upper Big Jim Mountain Lake
Scrambling up the gully
Scrambling up the gully
Ozzy taking a breather in the gully
Ozzy taking a breather in the gully
Top of the gully
Top of the gully
Big Jim bivy spot
Big Jim bivy spot
Point 7571
Point 7571
Big Lou from Big Jim
Big Lou from Big Jim
The moment Lake Augusta came into view was definitely a 'wow' moment! Holy smokes!!! Patchy early morning light filtered through clouds illuminating the lake and the slopes to the west while clouds and mist blew over the summits of Big Slide and Big Lou. Helluva time to be alive! This stuff is what I love most about being in the mountains. I was stoked.
Seeing this was a 'wow' moment
Seeing this was a 'wow' moment
Ozzy admiring Lake Augusta
Ozzy admiring Lake Augusta
Ridge over to Big Lou (left)
Ridge over to Big Lou (left)
Augusta!
Augusta!
Augusta's east shore
Augusta's east shore
One last shot of Augusta
One last shot of Augusta
Traversing over to Big Lou
Traversing over to Big Lou
We traversed around point 7571, passing a couple hikers on their way to Big Jim. We went up and over the 7443 point and up the north ridge of Big Lou to the summit. ~1:10 from Jim to Lou I believe. We spent maybe 50 minutes on the summit hoping the clouds would blow over Cashmere and the Stuart Range but they didn't. Still, the views were good and stoke was high!
Big Lou north ridge
Big Lou north ridge
They're turning!
They're turning!
Meadow
Meadow
Ozzy stoked to be near our last summit
Ozzy stoked to be near our last summit
Big Slide
Big Slide
Cashmere
Cashmere
Chillin on Big Lou, looking back at Big Jim
Chillin on Big Lou, looking back at Big Jim
Grindstone Mountain from Big Lou
Grindstone Mountain from Big Lou
We descended Big Lou and took the NE slopes down into the basin. What a glorious place! On the way down we spotted a marmot on a rock. Soon it was joined by two others and they just chilled there until we came too close for comfort and they took off. We meandered through the meadow taking pictures and enjoying a few fleeting moments in a special place as we passed through.
Ozzy descending Big Lou
Ozzy descending Big Lou
Grindstone
Grindstone
Close up crop of the marmots
Close up crop of the marmots
Marmots on their perch
Marmots on their perch
Entering the meadow
Entering the meadow
Lots of tarns in this meadow
Lots of tarns in this meadow
Ozzy getting the shot
Ozzy getting the shot
Big Slide and Big Lou
Big Slide and Big Lou
Cruising through the meadow
Cruising through the meadow
A tarn and a tree
A tarn and a tree
I wish I had a wider lens for this shot
I wish I had a wider lens for this shot
After the meadow we had to descend a bit to get around a rocky rib but it was generally easy and we soon found ourselves in another meadow and soon back on the trail. The way down was fairly uneventful. We easily spotted the trail junction we had missed earlier in the morning and passed several hunters on their way up, most of whom had what appeared to be SUPER HEAVY packs, I'd guess a lot were carrying 60 pounds or more... they looked heavy and miserable! lol A couple notes. The first mile is a bit brushy and the rest of the trip is mostly out in the open. There is no shade really, I can't say this trip would be fun in the heat of summer but it was perfect for us. Larches were turning, probably about 20% of them had turned. Another great day in the mountains!
Fall colors
Fall colors
Christmas colors.  Too soon?
Christmas colors. Too soon?
Back on the trail
Back on the trail
I always forget what these are...
I always forget what these are...
Elephant Trunk
Elephant Trunk
Gnarled
Gnarled
Big Jim Loop Map
Big Jim Loop Map
18 miles 7200 ft gain 12 hours

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Type E

Type E
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:01 pm 
Nice loop !

triad

triad
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:45 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
The Badlands
The Badlands
Scrambling up the gully
Scrambling up the gully
This area has been on my list for a fall trip. The colors really pop in the photo above upper Big Jim lake. Interesting photos of the burn!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:49 pm 
So jealous! bawl.gif I love that area. Thanks for the beautiful pictures, Lake Augusta in particular.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
geyer

geyer
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 5:22 pm 
Great pics as usual Aaron - I've especially been enjoying the forest pictures you've been putting together lately Have you been giving ozzy lessons? lol.gif
awilsondc wrote:
Ozzy getting the shot
Ozzy getting the shot

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 8:47 pm 
geyer wrote:
Have you been giving ozzy lessons? lol.gif
awilsondc wrote:
Ozzy getting the shot
Ozzy getting the shot
rotf.gif I was trying to channel my inner Aaron Thanks for writing up a TR for this Aaron!! up.gif It was another killer outing for sure man! rocker.gif Definitely pretty rough goin on very little sleep. This trip definitely exceeded expectations in a lot of ways to say the least! It was funny as hell when the camper scared the sh## outta me lol, I forgot about that. breakdance.gif It was a trippy walk through the burn up to the Badlands HP. The sunrise helped add to the mood! When we got our first views of Big Jim we were delighted to see how many larches were turning! eek.gif I was surprised with the amount of larches in the area as a whole. When we hit the Big Jim summit I was definitely feeling the lack of sleep lol. I was kinda hoping Aaron wanted to call it quits here, lazy peakbagger syndrome I guess lol! moon.gif His enthusiasm about continuing gave me no hesitation and we went and bagged Big Lou! rocker.gif Thanks Aaron I would have definitely orphaned that one if you weren't there!! Lake Augusta was stellar too! Big Lou was sweet but I particularly liked the basin below just NE of the summit! A worthy side trip indeed! It was a long day but totally worth it! Thanks for letting me tag along again let's go get some more peaks buddy! Cheers everybody!!
feel the burn
feel the burn
upper big Jim lake
upper big Jim lake
Jim on Jim baby!
Jim on Jim baby!
astounded
astounded
wow
wow
Aaron and Lou
Aaron and Lou
topping out on lou
topping out on lou
Aaron on true summit
Aaron on true summit
Aaron and Big Jim
Aaron and Big Jim
NE basin
NE basin
departure
departure
amazing place this is
amazing place this is
Aaron takin it all in
Aaron takin it all in
the shot lol
the shot lol
last view of lou
last view of lou

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 9:41 pm 
Fabulous shots, especially of the lake.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 am 
Nice to see the loop work out so well. So many beautiful photos! I’m guessing the blowdowns on the main trail must have been cleared. We snowshoed up to the meadows on the main trail in early May and there were too many blowdowns to count, so much fun to climb over while carrying snowshoes. No trouble going up the road in the Tacoma. biggrin.gif

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 2:13 pm 
Great TR and awesome photos!! I really love this area and it's got good access from the other (west) side as well. It feels like once you get your elevation, you can go off in so many directions. And the colors this time of year, as evidenced by your photography, are incredible - as are the views of the Stuart Range and beyond. I like the Jim on Big Jim photo - You hit up the 2 for $5.00 Jim Beam "special" at Dan's Market - a must!!

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 8:04 pm 
Thanks everyone! I really loved this area, especially that view of Lake Augusta, holy cow!!! stun.gif
Nancyann wrote:
I’m guessing the blowdowns on the main trail must have been cleared. We snowshoed up to the meadows on the main trail in early May and there were too many blowdowns to count, so much fun to climb over while carrying snowshoes. No trouble going up the road in the Tacoma. biggrin.gif
The trail to Lake Augusta was cleared. Not a single blowdown. Only the section over to the Badlands High Point had that stuff to contend with. That rough section of road... so strange! It wasn't an issue with clearance, I had plenty of that. I think it was tires... it sounded like they were spinning on the last section of ruts, probably not aggressive enough lugs on this set of tires I had. I was definitely relieved to make it past that section. I figured it would be easy on the way down and it was. smile.gif

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 am 
What a fun area, and nicely captured in photo and word. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed a late season trip up there with Ida as a destination a couple of years ago. The cross-country travel is a glory redface.gif And those badlands really live up to their moniker agree.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey