Forum Index > Trip Reports > Duckabush smoke evasion technique 9-10 to 9-15 '20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tommytownsend

tommytownsend
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 5:01 pm 
The Goat (aka cascadetraverser) and I had this week booked out for some off trail adventure but as with many things in the era of covid nature had other plans. The night before our departure was punctuated by a flurry of text messages. “NCNP smokey what about GPW? No go there’s a new fire there”. We have someone to drive shuttle in Oregon, the Willowas would be good, nope smoke rolled in there as well. Lot’s of options in the Olympics and it’s an easy drive, damn, hard to book campsites”. And what about our possible 3rd member? The fabled Goat Queen. Would she be lured into staying in town to manage a home project? Eventually a plan was hammered out. Up the Duckabush River Trail then up to Home Sweet Home then off trail from the Mt Hopper trail to Hagen Lake the out Lake of the Angels to a stashed car up the Hamma Hamma.
Twas warm on Big Hump
Twas warm on Big Hump
Lounging goat, how about that classic cup!
Lounging goat, how about that classic cup!
Met up for Lunch on the dock in Hoodsport, the air was clear no campfire smell. It appeared we chose well. We got a late start after setting the shuttle, forecast called for 90 in town seemed like a shady riverside trail would be the place to be. What about this Big Hump section on the map? A brief sufferfest was had by all, the camp at 7 miles looked pretty sweet. Beautiful spot for a wash in the river, have you met my friend Basil Hayden? Slept in the next day and made it to the Upper Duckabush camp, a varietal hive of activity.
Can't trust Gaia beyond this point
Can't trust Gaia beyond this point
The Mt Hopper trail loses it's way at this point
The Mt Hopper trail loses it's way at this point
The Queen prefers an open fire but it smelled like one none the less
The Queen prefers an open fire but it smelled like one none the less
sunset on some distant planet
sunset on some distant planet
The forecast mentioned more heat and we had some vert on tap for the next day so planned an alpine start, got out of camp by 0600 and were well on our way before first light. The closer to the alpine zone we got the smokier it became. We took a left at the Mt Hopper trail, Gaia had been spot on so far but soon I noticed that it had the trail a few hundred feet up hill. It was pretty clear that we were on a trail which eventually petered out in an area of a prior burn. It was easy xc to the minor pass at the end of the trail on the map. The view east was grim, we knew there was a small fire by Lena Lake and it seemed foolish to head in that direction not knowing what had happened in the 3 days since we got our last forecast. We scuttled our plans hoping the Duckabush would continue to provide relief from the haze and gloom. Backtracking from the pass there were signs of a trail more consistent with what Gaia indicated. We attempted to follow but ended up doing an hour of classic bolder hopping/bush crashing Olympic off trail travel. Painful knowing there was a fine trail just a few hundred down hill. The Queen was none too keen to spend a night in the high country but after some cajoling relented, our pal Basil made another visit and we tripped out on the Sci Fi scene around us.
My kind of migrant fruit pickers
My kind of migrant fruit pickers
Crazy Creek indeed!
Crazy Creek indeed!
The Queen sure knows how to decorate a happy hour
The Queen sure knows how to decorate a happy hour
The next day reviled a bounty of blueberries that we had overlooked in the dark on the way up. The descent was undertaken at a more than leisurely pace. Purple fingers were the mark of the day. We had scoped out a cool spot at Crazy Creek on the way in and made it our camp. The otherworldly river boulders attested to the power of water and time to sculpt stone. Camp Caleb the home made sign says. Mezcal and tasty snacks were enjoyed in a surreal riverside setting.
We took another day to get to the car, why not enjoy our time in the woods. Driving east the smarty phones started to make noise when reception was available. First text was a warning from the city about air quality. Looks like we went to one of the healthiest places on the West Coast.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 8:52 pm 
Very nice! I love those spots (gotta love that crazy eroded rock down along that section of the Duck). I think I stayed at 7 mile camp last year, it was a pretty pleasant place to spend a night. You shoulda' gone up Mt. Hopper seeing as how you'd already paid most most of the price to get so close!

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 10:27 am 
It was an interesting trip; we had hoped initially to go to LOA and Hagen lakes via the Lena Lake trail (closed by a fire) or a traverse in the cascades. With the smoke pouring from all directions, nothing looked great but a week out along a river with the chance of marine air helping out seemed like a good choice, and it was. The river was beautiful despite the smoke. Meck, we couldn’t even see the top of the Mountain when we peered up from Mt Hopper pass; everyone just wanted to head back...😉 Is it a fun climb? I suspect so but the apocalyptic smoke didn’t make it too inviting.

silence

silence
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 11:02 am 
That would've been a nice thru trip. We've often thought about the traverse from Hopper over and out thru Lena. Your TR was fun to read. Any color up at First Divide? Mt Hopper (10/13/2007) ... looks like a relatively ez climb... just follow the ridge, but we didn't go for it.
View east from the end of the Hopper way trail which follows the ridge.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 12:33 pm 
Thanks silence for those pictures; would have been nice to have that clarity. Next time.....

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 9:15 am 
Oh Ya, the colors were beginning to change and the berries were unbelievable. Thanks to Tom and Tihut for such great company....

silence

silence
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:32 am 
Thx! We were thinking about heading up that way next month (to catch the fall color and maybe the elk rut/bugling in Elk Basin), but Staircase/N Fork Skok is still closed. Our first trip to LaCrosse Basin was via the Duck back in Aug, 2006 … lots of huge downed trees to scramble over once we were in the Park. Going in they were manageable, but going out I slipped on a submerged rock while crossing Pitch Creek, fell and broke my wrist which made it challenging. We were still 13 mi out from the trail head and still had a lot of blow down to climb over. Spent the night at 10 mi camp (as we did going in) and then hiked out the next morn. Never been back since, and even though I love the Duck, we love the N Fork Skok a lot, too. How was the Duck trail? Maybe, it’s time for me to return.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:48 am 
The Duckabush trail was in good shape for the most part. No blowdowns to 5 mile camp and then some from 5 to 10 mile, but not horrible. That was the section with some minor brush as well. The last 7 miles were in really good shape and especially beautiful. The camps at 5, 7 and 12 miles the best. I know the ONPS is not opening the North Fork Skokomish side yet but maybe they will at some point? I would have to say it would rate high on my list of beautiful Olympic rivers.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 6:54 pm 
I've met Basil. Seems to make a strong showing when conditions are suboptimal. Way to salvage a rough week with a great trip. Maybe you'll get to see the views someday.

tommytownsend

tommytownsend
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 8:15 pm 
With or without booze I'm convinced that being outside, preferably for multiple days, is the balm for 2020 heartache. Thanks to all who responded to this post and for the community that this site supports.