Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bean, Volcanic Neck, Devils Head - 26 Sep 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 7:49 am 
I usually only visit Teanaway area in early Spring and Winter, this area often has sunny blue bird days in winter, when everything else is moody and in spring the roads melt out super early there. But I have never been in Teanaway in summer (crazy hot!) and I don't think of Teanaway for autumn, because it really is not that great for fall colors either. So yesterday was my first ever time in Teanaway without snowshoes and an ice axe! It sure looks different this time of year! I missed visiting Volcanic Neck and Devil's head this May during Teanaway Judy Mary Bean loop trip (https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8031762) and since Volcanic Neck and Devil's head were the last two missing peaks from my Teanaway-20 list, I decided to go to Teanaway and escape the rain. The last mile of the road to Beverley Turnpike Trailhead is very-very bumpy and has a couple of places with huge holes. While driving the forest road we also saw many cows walking through the forest and across the road and many wild turkeys. So be very careful! We arrived to the trailhead around 8:30 am and it had only one other car, her owner camped inside of it. Me and Cookie quickly started on Bean creek trail and soon turned to Bean Basin trail. To my surprise there is a very good trail all the way to ridge connecting Bean and Earl peaks. It was windy and cold and we found fresh dusting of snow on the ridge. From there we went to Bean and followed the ridge to Volcanic Neck. Volcanic Neck turned out to be very easy scramble and while the dusting of snow made it extra slippery it also helped me see my way on the way back, because I could see my and Cookie's footprints. There is one yellow larch inside the Volcanic Neck! And some more larches are turning in the basin. Finally we quickly made our way to Devils Head where fresh snow started falling on us. From there we came back the same way, but this time I decided to side hill to the saddle, instead of going over Bean peak again. It was probably less nice, but I found a couple crushed beer bottles among the rocks and took them out for recycling. While we didn't see any people before, suddenly back on the bean basin trail there were a LOT of groups of people just coming up. I don't know why everyone came so late, but the area suddenly became popular with both hikers and backpackers. Coming back to the trailhead, it was full and overflowing at 1PM! There was even a Tesla model 3, which is very brave. P.S. While I have now collected all Teanway 20 peaks, Cookie only has 18 of them. Unfortunately dogs are not allowed on South Ingalls and Fortune peaks, which is a shame, Cookie is not allowed on the peak of her name (her full official name is Fortune Cookie) frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 am 
Whoa, Cookie is a rock climber! Nice moves.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 8:19 am 
I continue to be amazed at what Cookie can do! Probably everything except belay. biggrin.gif Great shots!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:40 am 
Thank you olderthanIusedtobe and Anne Elk! Cookie is my lead climber! She is super motivated and very skilled, she can definitely climb things I cannot!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am 
Bean is a lot of fun. It's a gorgeous meadow you come through on the way up, a really nice view at the top, and just a great trip all around. I've looked at Volcanic Neck from a few trails and always wanted to go check it out. You brought some great photos back! I'm a little surprised (but probably shouldn't be) to see snow on the rocks and yellow larches. It's still September!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:55 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Bean is a lot of fun. It's a gorgeous meadow you come through on the way up, a really nice view at the top, and just a great trip all around. I've looked at Volcanic Neck from a few trails and always wanted to go check it out. You brought some great photos back! I'm a little surprised (but probably shouldn't be) to see snow on the rocks and yellow larches. It's still September!
Indeed Bean is really nice! Me and Cookie only scrambled Bean and Earl and Mary and Judy in Spring before, so each time I have only seen Bean Basin when it was completely covered in snow. I never even knew there is a trail inside that basin. It has lots of open grass and it is pretty. In the morning we also spotted a very beautiful deer in the basin, lots of chipmunks and one grouse, but everyone was shy and hid pretty quickly. Volcanic Neck and Devils Head don't really add too much, you get pretty much the same views as from Bean, but they are close by and Volcanic Neck is kind of fun if you like scrambling, not hard, just fun enough. The gullies are very obvious and there are many of them, you need to start from the side of Devils Head. Cookie was very happy to see fresh snow. Sadly I am pretty sure it all melted by now already, with all the sun that suddenly happened today! Larches only start to turn yellow, but many are not yet. Also there are quite a few more pines than larches in the area!