Forum Index > Trip Reports > Night on Hannegan, 09/28/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostWed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 pm 
There were over two dozen cars at the TH, but didn't have to share the summit night with anybody. My plan was to catch the moon rise just before the sunset then the moon set. The moon was low enough to leave a short window of dark sky before the sunrise. I spent at least a half hour looking for a campsite for views of Ruth, Shuksan and Baker. It'd be easy to find one with some snow cover. The approach is still very green, but not many flowers. Some alpine blueberries though not as plentiful as in Chiwaukum a week ago.
Summit views:
My home for the night:
Sunset:
Moon rise:
Since the moon was nearly full, I got more sleep than those dark starry nights.
Moon set:
Finally dark sky with stars:
I'm a night guy, slept through the sunrise until my tent got too hot.
Clear morning:
Started hiking toward Granite, but convinced myself there were too many ups and downs.
Met three groups as I was heading down to the pass.
Then a few more groups coming up.
This trip was partially to test out my new camera, x-t3, after my last one jumped into a lake. So far, so good.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Felpudo

Felpudo
PostWed Sep 30, 2020 10:52 pm 
Neat trip!

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 7:03 am 
I am heading up that way on Friday - sneak preview much appreciated. smile.gif up.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 10:38 am 
Kenji wrote:
So far, so good. Yes, your new camera seems equal to your high standards for photography!
That's quite the rockfall streak on the Price Glacier.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 8:56 am 
Sweet. Hannegan has great views.

Off trail rambler
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 10:44 am 
Beautiful photos Kenji. What do you use to eliminate the blue haze? These photos are remarkably clear of the haze that partially obscures distant objects. I can only detect it near the surface of nearer objects in a few photos. I have found a few methods of removing it but so far they always involve difficult selections, boosting contrast, etc. that takes a very long time.

Kenji

Kenji
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 12:25 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
What do you use to eliminate the blue haze? These photos are remarkably clear of the haze that partially obscures distant objects. I can only detect it near the surface of nearer objects in a few photos. I have found a few methods of removing it but so far they always involve difficult selections, boosting contrast, etc. that takes a very long time. Q
Not sure what to say here uhh.gif since I didn't really try to reduce "blue-haze", not explicitly anyway. It was a remarkably clear day to start with, and the peaks around weren't very far. Baker is about 15 miles away, Challenger only 10 miles. In general I try to maximize the dynamic range and the clarity, often just convert hazy distant peaks to B&W with red/yellow filters to get more contrast. Also for these shots here I used Capture One program and am still learning how to use it after switching a week ago. I've used Lightroom for over 10 years for photo editing and this has been a bit of a slow process. Never had a chance to try "de-haze" option in newer LR, that seems like a good starting point...if it works well. Anyway, it was more by chance and not so much by my special "de-hazing" skill wink.gif

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 1:33 pm 
It must have been a clear day! Even at 10-15 miles I typically get a lot more haze than that. In the 11th photo you can see a lot of haze down low on the far peaks and it looked like the haze up higher was removed - I was hoping to learn about a new tool but I guess not. Perhaps the sunlight higher up on those peaks is overpowering the haze. I stitched a pano taken from Kaleetan that I was really happy with except for the haze and I spent what seemed like forever selectively processing each to a higher degree based on distance. In the end I was happy with the results but it just took too much time. Sounds like I would be better off spending that time going again on a clearer day. Thanks for the response and again your photos are impressive. I remember seeing some shots you took of Lake Byrne that reminded me just how it looked when I was there as a kid.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 10:52 am 
Hannegan is a beauty. Well done!

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey