Forum Index > Trail Talk > Runner completes wonderland trail in under 17 hours
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:35 am 
Fastest known time of 16:56:30. The 93 mile wonderland trail is a through hike now. Rolled his ankle two miles from the finish but kept on going. After the runner, Bowman, finished, he said, “I spent some time lying on the ground, puking in the bushes, and shaking uncontrollably.” https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/ultrarunner-dylan-bowman-sets-running-record-on-mount-rainiers-wonderland-trail/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:41 am 
What’s the driving record through the park?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:54 am 
The human body can do some pretty amazing things! Google maps places the car circumnavigation at 145 miles and 3.5 hours. A little longer on a summer weekend following 4 priuses and an rv. If you went in the middle of the night and wildly exceeded the speed limit without getting pulled over you could perhaps get that down to 2.5.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 11:16 am 
eek.gif

snowshoeman

snowshoeman
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 9:49 pm 
Last time I checked, National Parks and Wilderness areas were not created for exercise or competition. To the contrary, they were intended for renewal and solitude. As such, those trying to set some PR for how fast they can hike the whole Wonderland Trail or Pacific Crest Trail should not be allowed in, because they don't get it.

John_B

John_B
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 10:01 pm 
snowshoeman wrote:
Last time I checked, National Parks and Wilderness areas were not created for exercise or competition. To the contrary, they were intended for renewal and solitude. As such, those trying to set some PR for how fast they can hike the whole Wonderland Trail or Pacific Crest Trail should not be allowed in, because they don't get it.
What about people that don't even get out of their cars? Are they allowed in? How about those that are already renewed and solitary? Are they only allowed in once they are worn down and with a compatriot?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 10:33 pm 
It's amazing what people can do. I wouldn't even want to run the trail at any pace, let alone fast enough to raise the bar for everyone who's ever done it before.
snowshoeman wrote:
Some people just have a really strong urge to pee in the Cheerios. There's one in every crowd. hmmm.gif

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 5:39 am 
I am sure he never took in the outdoor beauty of the area

JPH

JPH
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 7:42 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Actually, I think the part where he was "lying on the ground, puking in the bushes, and shaking uncontrollably" was simply an emotional reaction to all the beauty he just witnessed in such a short period of time. Happens to me sometimes, right when I get out of the car at a place like Washington Pass...just hit the deck and start vomiting because of the overwhelming beauty. Pretty embarrassing really!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:15 am 
JPH wrote:
Actually, I think the part where he was "lying on the ground, puking in the bushes, and shaking uncontrollably" was simply an emotional reaction to all the beauty he just witnessed in such a short period of time. Happens to me sometimes, right when I get out of the car at a place like Washington Pass...just hit the deck and start vomiting because of the overwhelming beauty. Pretty embarrassing really!
I usually just weep uncontrollably when I'm overwhelmed by natural beauty, but we all have our own coping mechanisms.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:32 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
He got to see the whole park on foot in a day! Just because trail running isn't your cup if tea, please don't piss on their trip. Isn't one of the forum rules to refrain from negative comments about other's trip reports?

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:34 am 
What’s the hopping on one leg record up to Camp Muir?

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:53 am 
Riverside Laker wrote:
What’s the hopping on one leg record up to Camp Muir?
That's nothing, I did it nude, walking backwards and up hill the whole way...lets see someone top that!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 9:34 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
You have zero knowledge of the runner. How are you "sure"? This is one of the most popular myths held by non- runners about trail runners. We get to experience and marvel at more beauty in less time.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 10:02 am 
It's always amusing when people reveal their insecurities in public, kind of endearing really. Making all sorts of assumptions and estimates, I'd put this at 15 mcal (15,000 Calories). The energy equivalent of 2 kg of fat. Or 58 Clif bars. Pretty cool.
JPH wrote:
just hit the deck and start vomiting because of the overwhelming beauty
The well-studied phenomenon of Emetic Bliss. For maximum effect, make sure to start with a full stomach. I would perhaps be more impressed by a self-supported effort. He had a support team and 4 resupplies. Standard practice, I know. That's just personal preference. As for not taking in the surroundings... I actually think there's some truth to this, having pushed myself hard in the past and then having entire stretches I retained no memory of. Maybe I'm just not good enough. But who cares? There are many ways to experience and appreciate existence.