Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Rubber debris litters miles of Puyallup River after artificial turf was used in dam project without
Previous :: Next Topic  
altasnob

altasnob

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 8:28 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
The spill occurred July 29. Rubber debris already is likely more than 40 miles downriver in Puget Sound. The pollution is the result of unpermitted use of thousands of yards of artificial turf by the dam’s owners while reconstructing parts of the dam.

Electron Hydro, did not inform regulators of the pollution discharge until Aug. 4. A stop-work order was imposed on the company’s construction project Aug. 7 by Pierce County and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Puget Sound Energy, the previous owner of the dam, sold the dam to Electron in 2014, but still sells electricity from the project.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/rubber-debris-litters-miles-of-puyallup-river-after-artificial-turf-was-used-in-dam-project-without-permit/
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostSat Aug 29, 2020 10:29 am 
Sounds like a real mess.

I would think it would be impossible to clean up all those tiny little pieces of rubber.

I honestly had to laugh when I read this, because the dam owner’s use of the “astro turf” is so monumentally stupid.

This fiasco on the Puyallup is unforgiveable idiocy. I’d think federal charges for violations of the Clean Water Act would be appropriate (at the minimum.) Hopefully the Puyallup Tribe’s legal team will manage to sue the pants off the chuckleheads who allowed this to happen.

I would expect that DOE would be all over this. Where have they been?

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 3:28 pm 
Strange Astro turf does not have the rubber granules when new that are added afterward to reduce injuries. Most places no longer use them because they are considered cancerous. Probably they were used used AstroTurf from a field somewhere to save money.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
thunderhead

thunderhead

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 4:27 pm 
They installed the shredded tire astroturf outdoors?

Ahahaha daft.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 3:30 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Probably they were used used AstroTurf from a field somewhere to save money.

The Seattle Times article includes a Facebook video of the turf, and the description states that the dam owner is using the old Kingdome Astroturf! You can see some of the 20 yard line marks clown.gif Revenge of the Kingdome, 2020 can't surprise us anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/derek.vangiesen/posts/10208238585799812

Other pictures in the article show the rolled stacks of turf, I guess they have just been sitting there since the Kingdome died? Hmm, I wonder if the endzones are still in that pile somehwere...
altasnob

altasnob

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 pm 
Pierce County is taking steps to remove the Electron Dam on the Puyallup River following a spew of crumb rubber and plastic debris into the river by the dam’s owners, Electron Hydro.

Citing “inexcusable environmental harm” and “irresponsible management” by dam owner Electron Hydro, Pierce County Executive Bruce Dammeier Monday issued a letter imposing a series of steps the owners must take to clean up the mess and secure the dam site for the winter.

Working with the Puyallup Tribe of Indians, Dammeier said his ultimate goal is to remove the 12-foot-tall wooden dam from the Puyallup River “as soon as possible.”

“The harm caused by this obsolete, 116-year-old dam in a river that supports threatened salmon runs far exceeds any possible benefit the owners might claim,” Dammeier said in the statement. “Electron Hydro deliberately placed artificial turf full of crumb rubber into the river, and that’s simply unacceptable. The damage to future salmon runs is impossible to measure.”

The dam is located in the upper Puyallup watershed and generates power for about 20,000 electricity customers. The dam is a known fish killer on a river that is home to spring chinook, and other fish protected under the Endangered Species Act.

Puget Sound Energy also recently alerted Electron Hydro it would cancel its power-purchase contract with Election Hydro if it does not bring the dam into regulatory compliance.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/electron-dam-should-come-down-as-soon-as-possible-pierce-county-executive-says/
altasnob

altasnob

PostSat Oct 03, 2020 9:21 am 
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians intends to sue Electron Hydro after the dam released artificial turf pellets into the Puyallup River while working on a project.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article246185230.html
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 8:24 am 
Next time I kayak up the Puyallup I am going to see if I am able to find any of this stuff.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Rubber debris litters miles of Puyallup River after artificial turf was used in dam project without
  Happy Birthday ozzy!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: