Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments on Oct 24th
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PNW_Newbie

PNW_Newbie
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 3:10 pm 
Hello All!, I recently moved to PNW and am relatively new to hiking. I am moderately fit and hiked up South Sister in OR 3 weeks ago (Had to turn around at 9000 ft due to superbad winds ~55mph). I am not new to snow (Lived in Michigan before this) but have never really hiked in it. I am considering hiking the Enchantments this Sat by myself. The forecast is partly sunny with a temperature around 14F. There is a slight possibility of precipitation on the day. I am considering starting from Stuart Lake Trailhead up to Perfection lake and getting back to Start Lake trailhead to cut down from mileage on the thru-hike (Also the loop connector shuttle is booked out for the weekend). Recent trail reports suggest snow on the Upper Enchantments lakes and it is forecasted to snow about 3 inches on Friday (23rd). I would like to know if it is a good time to hike the enchantments if these conditions are too bad/risky for a relatively new hiker to attempt the enchantments. Also, will I be required to carry Crampons, Mountaineering Boots, and Gaiters? (I current own Waterproof Goretex hiking shoes) Will it be dangerous to attempt Aasgard in these conditions? I plan to arrive at the Leavenworth area on Friday night stay somewhere close and hike up on Sat morning. What time would you suggest I start? Any suggestions and changes to the itinerary are greatly welcome! I appreciate all your comments/ clarifications! Thank you in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 3:34 pm 
Traveling on thinly snow covered talus and rocks involves additional risk of significant injury from stepping into hidden holes. Also the Aasgard pass slope, being both a north aspect and lee slope will have a considerably deeper depositon of snow, likley requiring postholing. This time of year, that slope will receive very little sunlight and will be significantly colder than areas with more southern exposure. If I were to head that way, I would want sturdy boots, thick socks, gaiters, hiking crampons, trekking poles and cold weather clothing, including thick gloves or mittens. Also once you reach Aasgard Pass the upper basin is rather devoid of navigational landmarks and with the snow coverage finding/following the trail visually is non-trivial. Staying on route is important as the trail negotiates around various cliffs. The section between Lake Vivian and Upper Snow Lakes is particularly tricky, with one section of the trail featuring iron bars fixed into a smooth rock slope that would be very challenging to navigate safely while snow and ice covered. The weather in upper plateau is also somewhat fickle with a significant risk of fog and clouds forming locally even if weather nearby is clear. Navigation without a GPS and a GPS track to follow would be quite challenging. HTH

PNW_Newbie

PNW_Newbie
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 4:07 pm 
Thank you! Randito for your help! I plan to carry Yaktrax with me along with all the other gears that you suggested! Also will it be a bad idea/ risky to hike up and down Asgard pass? [Stuart LK trailhead > perfection Lake >Stuart Lake Trailhead]. I was considering passing on a thru hike in favor of a relatively late start (~ 7AM) and reduced hiking mileage and transport issues. But is this a more dangerous thing to do? Thank you for your help I really appreciate it!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 5:04 pm 
Last October: One person was seriously injured in a fall coming down Aasgard and another died coming down Cashmere (?) nearby. Both fell on icy rock. People have died on the way to Aasgard getting off route in the snow. Coming down to Lake Viv involves coming down some granite that's fun in good weather but would be terrifying now. They put the iron in because somebody died coming down in the rain. I grew up in Connecticut where the winters got very cold, with lots of snow and ice. It's different in the mountains with steep exposure and rocks to fall into. I wouldn't recommend the Chants as a first winter hike here. Turning around at Colchuck Lake would be good. There's a lot of gorgeous scenery all over the place, especially everywhere near Leavenworth. smile.gif Fourth of July trail is under appreciated and magical.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 5:07 pm 
PNW_Newbie wrote:
Also will it be a bad idea/ risky to hike up and down Asgard pass?
Out and back is generally less risky than a through hike.
PNW_Newbie wrote:
I was considering passing on a thru hike in favor of a relatively late start (~ 7AM)
If you leave the Eightmile trailhead @7AM you are going to really have to hustle to make the 18 miles and 5500 feet of elevation gain and reach the Snow Lakes trailhead by sunset @ 6:03 PM Also Oct 24th is a weekend in Larch Season -- you may need to park a significant distance down the Eightmile road to find a parking space. The trail to Colchuck Lake is hyperpopular. Even before Instagram, Hiking to Colchuck lake was very popular -- for good reason -- it is very scenic. Even if you only make it to Colchuck lake and back it is a worthwhile outing. Once you get to the Colchuck lake you can better assess whether you can make it to Aasgard Pass and return. An alternate idea to hiking up the steep slope to Aasgard Pass would be to retrace a bit to the junction with the Lake Stuart trail and follow that to the open meadows a bit past Lake Stuart (3 miles from the junction with the Colchuck lake trail) for an excellent view of the North side of Mt Stuart.

bk

bk
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 5:39 pm 
The red arrow marks a dangerous, 30-foot hole, under-snow waterfall on Aasgard Pass.
People often suggest "stay to the left when going up" to stay well clear of the hidden hole at the red-arrow location. • Article by guy who almost died falling into that hole in 1998. • 21-year-old dies glissading down Aasgard, July 3, 2011. ...there are probably other accidents in that location. Other discussions of the safer route are discussed here in this 2017 blog.
And in this 32-min. podcast.
Do a Google [images] search for: aasgard stay to the left

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 6:19 pm 
"I am not new to snow (Lived in Michigan before this) but have never really hiked in it. I am considering hiking the Enchantments this Sat by myself" This thread reminds me of the missing ( still missing ) hiker on Hidden Lake "28-year old Rachel Jayanne Lakoduk of Moses Lake, Washington remains missing after she disappeared on an overnight hike on October 17th, 2019 on the Hidden Lake Trail in Marblemount, Washington" Curious why you want to do the Enchantments? Stuart lake trailhead to Perfection Lake & back isn't really "doing the Enchantments". What is it that you really want to see / accomplish?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 7:05 pm 
The weather is supposed to deteriorate significantly by the weekend, esp Friday, when you'd be driving over the pass: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/10/lowland-snow-and-bountiful-mountain.html Eight inches of snow is forecast for Leavenworth. If I were going to the Enchantments for the first time, this isn't the time I'd go. shakehead.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
MooandLu

MooandLu
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 7:18 pm 
My husband and I are also new to the PNW; this year was our first season hiking and backpacking the Cascades (though avid backpackers on the east coast). I can't stress enough how humbling it has been learning to hike and camp in WA, and how little we understood what we were getting into. You're describing a trip that will be really challenging in a number of ways: navigation, weather, and physical intensity. I'd recommend choosing a hike that only challenges one of those things instead of all three in spades, especially if you're a relatively new hiker. I totally get the sweet siren song of such a challenging-sounding trip, but I don't think the risk is worth it. Just my two cents!! (Edit: also, have you seen the most recent WTA trail notes for this hike? There are some pretty gnarly descriptions of recent conditions.)

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 pm 
Great advice in this thread so far! I'd agree with others on their recommendations. This is no easy hike. It is difficult to begin with and will be made even more difficult with the conditions you can expect on Saturday. Right now it looks like a foot of fresh snow will fall on Friday night (here and here) which will make it very difficult if not dangerous even getting up Aasgard Pass. If you are going to be going early, you might even be stuck breaking trail up all that new snow. If it were me and my goal was what you outlined for Saturday, I'd bail due to the forecast. There is plenty to do and see in Washington and other trips you can do this weekend with better conditions. The Enchantments are great, but go see them when conditions are good. Right now it's going to be difficult if not dangerous snow travel and even if you get up there the larch are past their prime and you won't get the full experience. That's my two cents. By the way, your idea of going in Aasgard, going as far as Perfection Lake, and heading out the way you came is just fine. I think the thru hike is overrated, and many will agree.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 pm 
People have been gentle in their responses. I'm going to be a bit more blunt. This:
MSidhaarth wrote:
I recently moved to PNW and am relatively new to hiking. I am not new to snow (Lived in Michigan before this) but have never really hiked in it. I am considering hiking the Enchantments this Sat by myself.
Plus this:
current NOAA forecast for the Enchantments wrote:
FRIDAY: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 21. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible. FRIDAY NIGHT: Snow likely, mainly before 11pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Equals one giant NOPE. This is a terrible idea. Go with an experienced group or save a solo trip for next year.

PNW_Newbie

PNW_Newbie
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 pm 
Thank you all for your quick, and wise responses. I realize that I overlooked the difficulties/challenges involved in this. I see that I got carried away by the excitement and underestimated the obstacles involved. Randito -Thank you for your route suggestions and tips! BK - Thanks for sharing articles and a picture of the route, I guess I'd save it for later. Also the podcast you shared points to several other interesting survival stories. BoothPath guy - I was planning on climbing Asgard pass and visiting the lakes in the Upper Enchantments region and getting down the same way, hoping to shave off a few miles on the hike and also circumvent the transportation problem. Great Quote at the bottomline though! MooandLu - Thank you and I agree with what you said wrt PNW, I tried hiking the South Spur of Mt. Adams last weekend, it was indeed a humbling experience to learn how different the topography here is and how elements of nature could make or break the day. I hadn't paid attention to WTA trip reports but reports from all trails from the past two days seemed good. I really am glad to have received such quick responses! I will skip this plan for now and hopefully get back to hiking this area sometime next summer with more experience. Thank you all for your replies, your 'two cents' are helping people like me avoid really 'costly' mistakes! smile.gif

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
People have been gentle in their responses. I'm going to be a bit more blunt
I'm insulted

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 8:40 pm 
PNW_Newbie wrote:
I really am glad to have received such quick responses! I will skip this plan for now and hopefully get back to hiking this area sometime next summer with more experience.
Excellent response. Wise choice. ~z

Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 8:59 pm 
Call me cynical but I thought this was catfishing.