Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Cranes Say Winter Is Near
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 6:26 am 
Nope, not the TV Cranes. They started flying over in early September-- Not very many, but a few. Now major groups are flying over each day. I dug out the binoculars and watched them on Sunday afternoon. Never did that before. It is impressive to watch them fly. My binoculars are not powerful enough to see much detail, but I can see the wings at work. It was about 3PM and I wondered if the birds were having a discussion about where to spend the evening. A big group split up and flew unorganized in many directions. Looked like they were over Duck Lake. Then they regrouped but into smaller groups and continued south. I can imagine the conversation--are we there yet? No, just another 15 minutes, we can't stay at Duck Lake because it is for ducks....(and smells suspiciously like a septic tank). I think this valley might be part of the crane flight path.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 6:45 am 
I dont recall seeing cranes flying here but a lot of geese and in two or three big V's.. There are a couple of sandhill cranes in the fields but none to make up a big flight.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 9:58 am 
I forgot to mention that this year, they are flying lower than usual. In past years, they have been up so high that one can barely hear them or see them. I'm wondering if it is because of the smoke. The smoke layer exists but is higher than it was during the hellish days of Sept. A large group passed over low and noisily this morning.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities