Forum Index > Trail Talk > 730 cars?!?!?!
Previous :: Next Topic  
slabbyd

slabbyd

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 2:15 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Facebook Video   shakehead.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
NWtrax

NWtrax

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 3:07 pm 
That' Nuts! dizzy.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat

Turtle Hiker
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 6:37 pm 
That is so.. heck, I'm speechless.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 7:04 pm 
Beyond lack of baseball and soccer another contributing factor to trailhead masses of cars is that carpooling is non-existiant during the pandemic.    So in the prepandemic world people would arrive at the trailhead in groups of three or four -- now there a mostly single occupancy vehicles.

Maybe next summer everyone will go back to Mariners games, Little League and Youth Soccer.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 8:59 pm 
slabbyd wrote:
Well with the most magnificent larch stands in all the North Cascades where else would you go?  If you don't like crowds I guess you just have to settle for the scrawny B-list larches elsewhere.  Saw a similar post regarding Frosty Mtn on the north side of the border.

Those are the ONLY larch standard in the Cascades.  There's no point going anywhere else.  Tell everyone you know.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 9:14 pm 
By the way, Heather/Maple is a great spring hike too.  Go in early July for the flower show and smaller crowds.  Go somewhere else in October.
marta
wildflower maven

marta

wildflower maven
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 1:44 pm 
US Forest Service posted about this today on Facebook with pictures.

Quote:
During the first weekend in October, over 1,500 people were counted at Rainy Pass Picnic area and the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) north trailhead!  There were 732 cars parked in parking lots and the overflow parking stretched on both sides of the highway for over a mile in each direction.

https://www.facebook.com/OkaWenNF/posts/3277007182416777
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 1:50 pm 
Oh so sound like 732 cars over the course of the weekend, not 732 cars on Monday alone.  Still crazy.
Schroder

Schroder

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 1:53 pm 
I drove by on Thursday. It was just as bad then.
kiliki

kiliki

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 3:33 pm 
marta wrote:

Quote:
During the first weekend in October, over 1,500 people were counted at Rainy Pass Picnic area and the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) north trailhead!  There were 732 cars parked in parking lots and the overflow parking stretched on both sides of the highway for over a mile in each direction.

They got ballsy in their post! The photo of the group (it was 25 or 30 people there to do the hike together) surprised me.  The NFs have been posting a lot of photos of garbage, resource damage, etc, but I can't remember them showing actual people as an example of what not to do.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 6:13 pm 
Kwazy, are yellow conifers really that great.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
natural_log

natural_log

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 11:48 am 
kiliki wrote:
marta wrote:

Quote:

They got ballsy in their post! The photo of the group (it was 25 or 30 people there to do the hike together) surprised me.  The NFs have been posting a lot of photos of garbage, resource damage, etc, but I can't remember them showing actual people as an example of what not to do.

Bit over due that they get ballsy, imo. I was happy to see that OKA-WEN took this approach, especially after North Cascades complex took a more "light hearted" one to the same issue (and this trail isn't even on park land!): https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2031245373677478

I'd hope that including more images of the impacts, as done by USFS, would be more impactful than emoji-filled bullet points coddling the droves who still plan to descend and are "comfortable" with the overflowing parking at their destination.

Mild rant over.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 2:52 pm 
The extra crowding on trails isn't just a Washington issue. Here in the mid-Atlantic, I've also been seeing way more people than normal; I usually have the trails to myself due to their more forested nature. I'm sure it's all pandemic related because other avenue of entertainment have been curtailed.

Last weekend, at one of the more popular viewpoints in West Virginia, it was a madhouse. Something like a couple hundred cars at the nearby trailhead parking lot had come to see this (all an hour before sunrise):

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > 730 cars?!?!?!
  Happy Birthday Malachai Constant, Get Out and Go, sequimjack!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: