Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead troubles- the nightshift strikes again
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 6:38 pm 
I have an old friend who programmed his vehicle to blast a phrase something like "Breakin alert: Police are on the way" or something like that I can't remember exactly, on repeat with like a 5 second delay between blasts anytime one of his doors are opened. He showed me how he enabled and disabled the feature from his phone over bluetooth. He also had very loud aftermarket speakers and bass so that when it's blaring, you can hear it from hundreds of yards away. At trailheads he simply leaves his doors unlocked and has never had an issue! Not sure if it would keep blaring until he got back to the car or what...lost touch with him a couple years ago.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 7:47 pm 
altasnob wrote:
I think the logic being it would too easy to forge your driver's license if all you had to do was display a photo (people with suspended driver's licenses would have an incentive to forge).
But driver's licenses have unique identifying codes printed on them.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 pm 
You mean like a driver's license number? Here's the problem I foresee. If you drive without proof of insurance or proper registration, it is an infraction (just a fine). If you drive with a suspended license, it is a crime. For instance, with two prior offenses, driving with a suspended license in the first degree carries a mandatory sentence of at least 180 days in jail (so it can be a pretty serious crime). If a person who had a suspended license wanted to drive, they could drive their friend's car, with their friend's insurance and registration, and superimpose their photo on their friend's driver's license. If pulled over, the officer would not easily realize the driver had a suspended license because everything would appear correct (except, unknown to the officer, the photo had been changed). You can't really do that with a plastic license, but could possibly do so with an electronic copy. Today, law enforcement has computers in their vehicle that instantly tells them who the vehicle is registered to, and whether the tabs are up to date (so carrying registration is a somewhat pointless law). The officer doesn't know if you have valid insurance or not because that is not something that is filed with DOL. If it's not the case yet, in the not too distance future, the officer would also be able to view your driver's license, including license photo, on their vehicle computer as well. So maybe the legislature will relax the driver's license hard copy law like they have with registration and insurance, but not yet.

ejain

ejain
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 9:27 pm 
altasnob wrote:
That is the statute for vehicle registration.
I'm assuming that's what HitTheTrail meant? Surely everyone keeps their drivers license in their wallet with them at all times!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 1:26 am 
I call this my "theft device."
It's a component of the ignition system in my truck. Unlike an anti-theft device, when this doohickey is installed in the truck, the truck can be driven. So, I take it with me. Takes 2 minutes to remove it and it weighs almost nothing and it's not obvious that it's missing to even a trained eye that would look under the hood. Furthermore, it can't be bypassed or worked around. A prospective thief would have to be able to diagnose why the truck won't start and be able to obtain a replacement part in order to drive it away. They could always tow it, I suppose... There are some advantages to driving old vehicles.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 6:14 am 
Time for some trail cams to be positioned in places it sounds like

RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 6:25 am 
One evening I came down to this trailhead after a hike later than my partner and he waited for me a couple hours until well after dark. He said several vehicles were cruising up and down the road with some sketchy looking characters slowing down to check out the fare. Upon seeing someone they kept on driving. Must be a popular area for the local tweakers.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 8:15 am 
Bedivere wrote:
"... component of the ignition system ..."
Which would work fine unless they crank the starter until they run the battery dead. Not all distributors are so easy to get to - mine's way back behind the intake manifold and requires a #2 Phillips screwdriver to remove the cap. Definitely would keep them from starting the engine, though!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 9:18 am 
The battery cut off switch will not allow the engine to crank and has a removable key.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 9:30 am 
Thanks for the suggestions. Downside to battery cut-off: it isn't much of a security key; the switch can easily be identified and bypassed; minor annoyance to have to reset clock and stereo settings with every disconnection.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 9:44 am 
Another advantage to the cut off switch is you don't have the risk of a car fire due to an electrical short, especially on older vehicles. Plus most thieves are lazy so it's doubtful most would make the effort to find and bypass the switch.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 10:07 am 
The appeal of self driving autonomous satellite connected vehicles increases with stories like this and the overcrowded parking along eight mile road , Maple Pass loop, etc.

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 10:21 am 
The idea being the car drops you off, drives back home, and picks you up when you are done? If that's the case, the small value of items lost to thieves pales in comparison to the dramatic environmental effects of doubling the driving distance to a hike. I know some trailhead thieves steal cars. But it seems most just want what is loose in your car with the more determined stealing higher value accessible parts from your car (like your battery and the tires/wheels).

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 10:29 am 
Randito wrote:
The appeal of self driving autonomous satellite connected vehicles increases with stories like this and the overcrowded parking along eight mile road , Maple Pass loop, etc.
👍

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 10:34 am 
altasnob wrote:
The idea being the car drops you off, drives back home, and picks you up when you are done? If that's the case, the small value of items lost to thieves pales in comparison to the dramatic environmental effects of doubling the driving distance to a hike.
The idea, like Uber and Lyft, is that the will be fleets of autonomous cars owned by some company. I'll get a ride from Seattle to Rainy Pass and reserve a ride home. The car will shuttle thru hikers between the PCT TH and Mazama, or backpackers from the restaurant in Winthrop to their trailhead, until it's time to pick me up and take me home. It would be too expensive to send the car home and then have it come pick me up again, empty both ways, to do as a matter of course.