Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Chief success + Cowboy failure 10/24/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 am 
First snowshoe of this season for me. Big Chief is one of the Chiwaukum range mountains, just east of Stevens Pass resort area, west of Welldigger's Ass peak. It has surprisingly good views towards Chiwaukum. Usual approach route runs through the ski resort, so it is great to be able to do it when it is already snowy, but ski resort is closed. I didn't know if there is parking when ski resort is closed, but turns out they plowed stevens pass parking lots, so it was not a problem. In fact quite a lot of people (in the parking lot) with many skiers and snowboarders. I understand their excitement, but realistically it looked still too hard to have a good time - the boulders on all slopes are still not fully snow covered. With recent precipitation and cold weather I hoped for waist deep snow, but it is barely an inch or two covering the ground at 4000 ft. Didn't have to use snowshoes until 5000 ft, after which point they became differently required. Snow is dry and cold and not yet consolidated at all, but even above 5000 ft it was not super deep.
Very cold air and lots of clouds. Power Outage peak?
Cookie still got her snow rolls, she is happy with what she can get.
Corona Bowl? I think they might want to rename this one.
Lake Susan Jane I think.
Chief Joseph Dam -> Snohomish 345kv power lines
Because brush is not fully covered, there were lots of small birds foraging for some berries
Lots of good views, including to Jim Hill, Chiwaukums and Chain Lakes peaks. Unfortunately we got cliffed out trying to follow the ridge to Cowboy, just 0.2 miles from it. There was no visibility there too and I couldn't figure out where the cliffs end, so I convinced Cookie to turn around. Next time!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 2:13 pm 
kitya wrote:
Wow! wub.gif That is an awesome shot of a gray-crowned rosy-finch! Whenever I see or hear a bird above tree line, I am always looking to see whether they are rosy-finches. While they are not considered rare, they are generally only seen in the alpine and I have only seen them a few times in all my years of hiking. There are a few plants and animals that my brain automatically associates with pleasure - because they only appear in alpine meadows - and this is one of them. Congrats! cheers.gif I can't help noticing that you and Cookie find all kinds of cool things in the mountains, for the obvious reason that you are out there all the time!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 3:37 pm 
The mention of Cowboy Mountain reminds me of an article I once read about how they surveyed in the present Cascade Railroad tunnel. One of the survey crew members had the nick name of Cowboy. In the process of doing the survey he turned up missing. After a few days he wandered out of the brush and hence the name. The process they went thru to determine the alignment and grade of the tunnel was very interesting as was the construction methods used. The Great Northern Railroad was under pressure to get the tunnel built and to eliminate the existing grade up thru Tye with all the snow sheds and other problems such as snow slides. If anyone has a source of information as to the surveys and construction that was done, I think it might be interesting to the group.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 6:24 pm 
Thank you so much for the bird ID Sculpin. I'm bad in recognizing small birds, but now I will remember. This bird is small, but so fun. It was not scared of me and Cookie and spent lots of time foraging in the snow right next to us. It was fun to see the bird digging in the snow and also picking something from the little bushes that are still out! Good to know about the origin of Cowboy mountain name too, thanks Dick B.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 9:56 pm 
Nice trip Kitya. Looks like winter has arrived at Stevens pass. Great photos of Cookie! Yes, the ridge to Cowboy mountain does get cliffy near the summit. You might be able to get around the cliffs if you drop down the South side of the ridge far enough. The ridge must be extra sketchy with snow on it. You can probably get up there from the ski area side also. I know there are ski runs from near the summit.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 10:05 pm 
MangyMarmot wrote:
Nice trip Kitya. Looks like winter has arrived at Stevens pass. Great photos of Cookie! Yes, the ridge to Cowboy mountain does get cliffy near the summit. You might be able to get around the cliffs if you drop down the South side of the ridge far enough. The ridge must be extra sketchy with snow on it. You can probably get up there from the ski area side also. I know there are ski runs from near the summit.
Thank you! Yes, looking back at the map I realize the it would have been better to drop down before the cliffs, but I already made a mistake of following the sketchy ridge up for a while and the cliffs are very not nice with soft snow, but not fully covered and very slippery. There were also clouds all around Cowboy and super cold, so I decided it was best to turn back and I was too lazy to continue searching for a better way. If I come back another time, I would take the approach from the ski resort instead, but ski resort needs to be closed and also have more snow. Looks like approach through the ski resort is what summitpost page recommends too.

nordique

nordique
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 2:40 pm 
There is a terrific book about the Wellington Disaster: The White Cascade Available in pb at Amazon and from our local public library. It reads like a novel and is packed with danger, drama, and history. I've read it a number of times and I often go back to it after a hike on the Iron Goat Trail.

nordique

nordique
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 2:43 pm 
The south side of Stevens Pass, going down to the creek, has also been the scene of avalanches that killed expert skiers.

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 2:58 pm 
I have read the book and also Ruby El Hult, NW Disaster. Her book also covers the 1910 fire on the St Joe in Idaho. Both books are worth a read if you like NW history.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 8:49 pm 
Dick B wrote:
The mention of Cowboy Mountain reminds me of an article I once read about how they surveyed in the present Cascade Railroad tunnel. One of the survey crew members had the nick name of Cowboy. In the process of doing the survey he turned up missing. After a few days he wandered out of the brush and hence the name. The process they went thru to determine the alignment and grade of the tunnel was very interesting as was the construction methods used. The Great Northern Railroad was under pressure to get the tunnel built and to eliminate the existing grade up thru Tye with all the snow sheds and other problems such as snow slides. If anyone has a source of information as to the surveys and construction that was done, I think it might be interesting to the group.
I posted a thread in the History threads with some sources and info.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep