Forum Index > Trail Talk > Queets River up to Upper Queets Basin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 11:20 am 
Pyrites wrote:
Have any of you old survey and map guru’s ascertained a record of when this benchmark was placed?
The benchmarks above Service Falls appear on the 1935 USGS Mt Olympus map, shown here (available online in USGS topoView). Intriguing, eh?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 12:55 pm 
RodF, in the above-cited thread wrote:
Ernie Vail found the lower end of that trail about a decade ago, and said he wasn't certain whether it was a built trail or an elk trail. A USGS benchmark was set alongside it and others below and above it, so it was real. That's evidence a hike-able route once existed all the way up into lower Queets Basin.
And Gay sent me photos a few years ago of what she firmly believed was built trail (including cut logs) which they found just opposite the mouth of Kilkelly on the east (south) bank of the river. (the photos are posted here somewhere, but I have no clue where.) In addition to that, Gary Patton told me (when I first met him in 1988) he and his father followed built trail from Alta to Kilkelly on their annual fishing trips, also on the east (south) bank of the river. All of the anecdotal stuff, combined with the trails drawn on early maps, indicate that there was at least the intent to build (if not the actual existence of) trail all the way up the valley to its headwaters.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message