Forum Index > Trip Reports > Duncan Knob and Strickler Knob (Virginia, Oct/18/2020)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 am 
Ok, I can't get to see any larches in a dramatic mountain setting, so I guess I have to be satisfied with this... Duncan Knob (twice) and Strickler Knob (Virginia, Oct/18/2020) Ever since autumn got underway, I had earmarked Duncan and Strickler Knobs – two nice viewpoints in Virginia's George Washington National Forest – as my primary fall foliage viewing hike. Alas, my trip yesterday was made at least a week too early. Conditions were good but not prime, which was a disappointment given the long round-trip drive time of 9hr. I began my hike from the Gap Creek trailhead at 7am. A steady climb for 1.5mi brought me up to Peach Orchard Gap, where I took a left turn for a stiff 0.3mi climb up to the Duncan Knob vista. The last 0.1mi was a steep talus scramble, but for my reward I got a great view of the spine of Middle Mountain stretching off to the south. Strickler Knob, my next destination was visible as a conical bump on the far end of Middle Mountain, while Shenandoah National Park was a mountainous to its left. Between Middle Mountain and Shenandoah National Park, the Shenandoah River valley still slept under a blanket of fog. Unfortunately, due to a stiff wind the trees and bushes were being blown about, which meant that I would have to compromise on my camera settings. Even more unfortunately, I could see that the majority of trees were still green, and prime fall foliage was at least a week off. Anyway, I had driven 4.5hrs in the early morning hours to get here for this moment, so I was going to get my money's worth: I ended up spending about 1.5hrs there.
1- Morning light
1- Morning light
2- Enjoying the view (selfie)
2- Enjoying the view (selfie)
3- Tree soldiers
3- Tree soldiers
After carefully picking my way down Duncan Knob, I took a left at Peach Orchard Gap. About a half mile later, I turned right onto the Massanutten Trail, which, over the next 2mi, took me moderately but steadily around and up to the far end of Middle Mountain. At the ridge crest I picked up the rugged 1mi trail to Strickler Knob. Every other time that I have been there I've had the place to myself. This time, maybe because of my later than usual arrival time, or maybe because of pandemic crowding, I had to share the place with a handful of other parties. Thankfully, the main outcrop was people free, so I quickly scrambled up to it and took in the views at my leisure.
4- Keyhole
4- Keyhole
5- Aflame
5- Aflame
6- Strickler Knob
6- Strickler Knob
7- South Fork Shenandoah River
7- South Fork Shenandoah River
8- Ledges
8- Ledges
After Strickler Knob, I returned to the Massanutten Trail, and took a left on it. 0.6mi later I took a right on the Scothorn Trail. In 1.6mi this brought me back to the Gap Creek Trail that I had begun the hike on. Instead of returning to my car, I decided to climb back up Duncan Knob. For some reason, I was unsure that I had been able to coax enough fall color from my morning photography: the sun had been somewhat behind me, some of the slopes had been in deep shadow, and the wind had been just too strong in the mellow light. It was only another 0.6mi to the viewpoint, albeit steep, so why not?
9- Slopes
9- Slopes
10- Lonely splendor (selfie)
10- Lonely splendor (selfie)
After Duncan Knob, I returned to my car. All that remained was the 4.5hr drive back home. Trip stats: 11.3mi, 2500ft gain, 9hrs. (Total trip time: 18.25hr.)

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostMon Oct 19, 2020 12:10 pm 
That's not prime? It looks amazing to me. Great photos!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm 
Thanks! However, believe it or not, things should actually get even better in another week! e.g. This is what I saw last Wednesday in central Pennsylvania, where it was prime:

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani