Forum Index > Gear Talk > DIY down - how to stuff?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 1:21 pm 
I didn't appreciate how difficult this would be, and I'm hoping somebody has some advice or a trick. smile.gif It's very hard to work with. It gets everywhere, I learned you should do this part outside and wear a mask, plus you wind up losing a lot. It starts expanding immediately in whatever you're making, and gets harder and harder to stuff more in. Seems like it would be easier to soak the down first and transfer soggy clumps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 5:43 pm 
Need to apply more brute force. where there's a will there's a way.

meck

meck
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 6:14 pm 
I had a friend who made his own quilt. He recommended doing the stuffing while sitting the whole thing in a bathtub.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 05, 2020 5:54 am 
meck wrote:
I had a friend who made his own quilt. He recommended doing the stuffing while sitting the whole thing in a bathtub.
With or without water in it? smile.gif This is probably a recipe for disaster, but maybe you could reverse the airflow on a vacuum cleaner and make it suck in the down and blow it out? Probably best to try this outdoors if you figure it out. Maybe take the filter out of a shop vac? Insert down, and see if it blows it out the exhaust. This thought came up pre coffee so beware.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 9:01 am 
I found this video, which is about quilts. I made a down pillow which is much more full, maybe other gear is easier.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 1:55 pm 
My wife worked in the down "lab" at Eddie Bauer's factory in the 70's (back when they actually made their own sleeping bags, etc). She said they had something like a huge self-contained down reservoir, the size of a small room, that would blow the down through tubes of different sizes, depending on what they were making. Even then, she said it was really messy because a portion of the down would always end up airborne.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 3:06 pm 
Back when Frostline kits were a thing, I made a down vest. The down came in plastic tubes. You'd put the tube into a baffle, and pull back on the plastic until it was inside-out while poking the middle with a ruler, and the down was in the vest. I don't recall losing anything, although it wasn't 900 cu-in/oz stuff, probably more like 500-ish. I still use that vest, about 50 years later. Still nice and puffy.