Forum Index > Trail Talk > Etiquette on abandoned gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Downhill

Downhill
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 9:22 pm 
RichP wrote:
This practice must be getting more common. I just packed out a junky camp in Idaho with 5 other hikers. Tent, sleeping bags and trash scattered about. Plenty of empty whiskey bottles too.
Please notify me IMMEDIATELY for the removal of any and all FULL whiskey bottles.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 9:25 pm 
Downhill wrote:
RichP wrote:
This practice must be getting more common. I just packed out a junky camp in Idaho with 5 other hikers. Tent, sleeping bags and trash scattered about. Plenty of empty whiskey bottles too.
Please notify me IMMEDIATELY for the removal of any and all FULL whiskey bottles.
Get in line!!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 9:48 pm 
I just take everything and post and watch the lost and founds. I was walking through the Verlot campground yesterday, closed for the season and no one around, and lo and behold there was a weed eater just laying on the ground. I brought it home and see if I can get it running.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 5:31 am 
Better to leave other belongings alone unless it has been there an a while. IMO

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 6:30 am 
Sounds like it is now OK to take some bolt cutters or a grinder out to cut the locks of any bicycles that are left hidden in the woods. Or, how about day hikes from a base camp? How am I to know that you've only been gone a few hours? I should help myself? Sounds like it's OK and everything is now fair game. The weedwhacker? Was it kind of hidden? I'd have left it for a while. Folks who work in the woods will stash tools and equipment, hopefully where none of you will find it, and then return the next day to work again. It's usually obvious as to what has been left to rot. Note the word rot. Tents are soggy and dirty, gear inside is mildewy or decomposing, etc. Don't be stealing stuff!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 7:13 am 
up.gif Treeswarper

pcg

pcg
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 8:22 am 
Certainly viable caches should be left alone. I've found scattered caches and cleaned them up and re-cached them. Most of what I find though is obviously the remains of an abandoned hunting camp. It's apparent to me that some hunters, after their good times party in the woods, just leave anything that doesn't have enough value to them to justify carrying back out. Things like dirty pots and pans, ragged blue tarps, broken portable chairs, bottles, cans, used up lighters, are obvious trash. But often there will be some "good" stuff in there too. To me that means they were careless and overlooked it and I'm packing it all out and throwing it away. What really gets my goat is when they do stuff like haul in old couches, tables, and build latrines with plastic toilet seats. And then they leave it there!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 8:45 am 
How do you know that hunters left the stuff. I've seenmore trash left behind by mushroom hunters and plain, ordinary campers than hunters. So, how do you figure that hunters are leaving the gear behind?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 8:55 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Sounds like it is now OK to take some bolt cutters or a grinder out to cut the locks of any bicycles that are left hidden in the woods.
Now you're just being ridiculous. The weed whacker at the campground was just laying out in the open, no weed whacking is being done this time of the year and as I said there was no one around, the campground is closed and the gate locked. The throttle is messed up so it was obviously dumped. I was pretty much trying to "Get someone's goat" with my comment. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
pcg

pcg
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 10:44 am 
treeswarper wrote:
How do you know that hunters left the stuff. I've seenmore trash left behind by mushroom hunters and plain, ordinary campers than hunters. So, how do you figure that hunters are leaving the gear behind?
Fair question. I often find gutting poles tied up in trees, but when there is no explicit evidence to pinpoint hunters, I suppose others could be implicated as well. I find this stuff well off-trail in pretty remote areas so I wouldn't expect that "plain, ordinary campers" would haul crap like that in. Never occurred to me that mushroom hunters could be complicit.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 10:51 am 
If mushroom hunters aren't hunters why are you both camping them hunters? clown.gif

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 am 
I don't know why mushrooms hunters would have ammo case with them. Nobody carries mushrooms in the ammo cases.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 11:32 am 
kitya wrote:
I don't know why mushrooms hunters would have ammo case with them. Nobody carries mushrooms in the ammo cases.
But mushroom pickers and others do go about the woods armed. Goodness, a few "hikers" do too. Plus, ammo boxes are used by many outdoorsy types. As far as poles hung at campsites, that does not mean only hunters camp there. Your prejudice shows. All user groups have jerks amongst them.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 11:56 am 
I wouldn't touch any of it. No telling what kind of bullsh## is in there. Report it to the land manager; it's abandoned stuff. If they wanted to keep it, they should have taken it with them when they left. If they weren't able to for some reason, they should report it to the land manager, or have freinds pick it up. But then you might say, "what if they just left it yesterday and friends haven't arrived yet." Or perhaps it belongs to ne'er do wells who might harass you if they see you messing with it. You could what-if all day long; it's best to move along, and report it. The possible poor mentality of someone that would leave this stuff behind would scare me away from it. My motto is: Don't put yourself in any situation where you'd find yourself in a situation. This has "situation" written all over it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 12:31 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Report it to the land manager; it's abandoned stuff.
up.gif this https://www.dnr.wa.gov/about/contact-dnr