Forum Index > Trail Talk > Etiquette on abandoned gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pcg

pcg
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 12:31 pm 
Nice thought, but I can guarantee you that the FS doesn't have the resources to pack out stuff like this that's off trail. In most cases it's been there a long time so I have no concern about a "situation" occurring.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 12:51 pm 
I know they don't. But I'd report it and then bow out anyway. I do worry about "situations."

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 1:16 pm 
I have seen the USFS advertise, so to speak, on Facebook for help hauling junk out of the woods. I remember one post where they explicitly asked people to report dumped items. If you did report I imagine you could also volunteer to help haul it out. Given that in another thread I learned that drug runners were leaving suitcases full of meth in the NF near Mazama, I can understand the advice not to touch it, though I think people are awesome for wanting to remove it.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 1:20 pm 
What if it's USFS

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 2:01 pm 
Yes, there are lots of USFS volunteers. I've hauled out junk a time or two as a USFS volunteer. On my own I'd haul out fire ring trash and the like, but a stash like this - I'd want a beefy, official OK and fellow volunteers with me, PPE, and a key to the gate where the USFS dumpster is at the compound.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 pm 
Yea I currently pick up garbage dumped on USFS or Weyco properties near me but that is via truck and trailer. I was doing it as far as dumping it in a transfer station on my own dollar. But USFS has stepped up and allowed me to use their garbage card or dumpster for disposal but that is at a higher quantity usually.

pula58

pula58
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 4:29 pm 
To whoever left all that crap in the forest: So much for leave no trace. :-(

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 5:15 pm 
To whoever left the nearly new 3 person tent, waterproof bag, and couple other items at an abandoned campsite out on the mountain loop, thanks for the free gear! Plus, if I can't get the weed eater to work, I will put it in my free pile on the side of the road.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 6:12 pm 
It's not at all hard to determine if someone abandoned gear in the forest. A cache is entirely different. Found a cache last summer at otter lake. They had come back numerous times over the years. Made a very nice campsite with rock walls and benches. Killer fire place. Too far and too much to pack out and would probably cause hardship if they found it gone. It is illegal to do what these folks have done, but they didnt leave any trash dump so that alone demonstrates that they are somewhat responsible. Abandoned gear as gcb pointed out is soggy/weathered and in general poor shape. If your uncomfortable leave it. Or tell someone on this site. Most of us pack out more than we pack in, some of us have old frame packs just for hauling out mega loads of junk. Next spring sign up for the annual beach cleanups that take place in April. Alot of people are overthinking this or trolling. Stay safe.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
daffish

daffish
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 6:21 pm 
I contacted DNR and after my email got forwarded around to the right person; surprisingly got a response within a couple of hours: "I think I know the spot, but given your description and the waypoint you provided, we shouldn’t have any trouble finding it. No matter the reason it was left (purposeful cache or abandoned gear), this is not something we want people doing. I’m not sure how soon we’ll be able to get someone in there to clean this up, but we do appreciate your bringing it to our attention, and will flag it for cleanup as soon as possible." Thanks to Schroder for providing the contact information.

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Gil

Gil
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 6:27 pm 
Just a thought -- was anyone missing in that area? Could it be searchers' stuff left in haste?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 pm 
There is alot of junk left there at Otter lake. Coolers, fishing poles, coffee pots. Junk. I have put out a fire there was left and got in the root system.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 5:23 am 
Will who ever took my skillet, axe and coin stash from the cabin on canyon creek return it?

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
There is alot of junk left there at Otter lake. Coolers, fishing poles, coffee pots. Junk. I have put out a fire there was left and got in the root system.
The outlet is very trashed. This predates the Alpine Wilderness when seaplanes would fly in. People have been adding to it ever since.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 10:31 am 
The Friends of Hidden Lake lookout just posted on Facebook that people are stashing gear, etc in the attic of the lookout, bringing in rodents and possibly compromising the ceiling. It will all be removed.