Forum Index > Trail Talk > Etiquette on abandoned gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 10:41 am 
The first thing you should do if you find abandoned gear is ask the internet what to do with it. 😁 I found some hunter's gear above Jefferson Park a few years ago. I packed up what I could and drug the rest of the stuff up to the PCT and left a sign asking others to pack it out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 11:22 am 
A few years back, I was in Indian Heaven with my grandson and he sprained his ankle. After I strapped it up very thoroughly, we decided to evacuate him that night before the foot swelled to the point he couldn't wear a boot. I carried out the expensive stuff (such as down sleeping bags and my Exped Downmat) but left most of the stuff at the campsite, in the tent (except food which was hung in a tree). I found a safety pin (the 16th essential?) and left a note pinned to the tent. I also called the district ranger station the next morning to let them know I was coming back to get everything. The day after that I left grandson alone with all 8 Harry Potter DVDs and hiked in to get the left behind gear. Fortunately it was undisturbed and I was able to haul it out in one trip. Grandson survived the ankle and the Harry Potter marathon and is still backpacking, now on his own or with friends, since old age has caught up with Granny. Interesting that in about 75 years of backpacking or horsepacking, this was the first time I had to use first aid skills (except for blisters and my perennial complaint, the dreaded infected hangnail). The various backcountry first aid classes I took over the years were well worth while, just for the peace of mind of being prepared!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 11:33 am 
What kind of gear

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 9:59 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I do worry about "situations."
I prufur to get involved

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 8:59 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I prufur to get involved
Me too. Which is why several of us on this site volunteered on a trip organized by Hulksmash, in a cleanup of a bunch of junk at Lake Isabel a few years ago. Maybe you were one of them? (can't recall who all was on that trip; Hulk, me, Backpacker Joe for sure). And several of us on this site have volunteered or still volunteer with the USFS several times, which includes cleaning up junk campsites.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 5:58 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
BigBrunyon wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I prufur to get involved
Me too. Which is why several of us on this site volunteered on a trip organized by Hulksmash, in a cleanup of a bunch of junk at Lake Isabel a few years ago. Maybe you were one of them? (can't recall who all was on that trip; Hulk, me, Backpacker Joe for sure). And several of us on this site have volunteered or still volunteer with the USFS several times, which includes cleaning up junk campsites.
And I would most certainly get in on this kind of cleanup....if only I were there to do so.... <sigh>. Not last summer, and most likely not this year either. rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif $#@!^% chinese virus!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Luc

Luc
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 12:05 pm 
I'm with Chief and Waterman on this one. If you're sketched out, then fore sure leave. But I agree that it's easy to tell a cache from abandonment. Personally, if I felt it was abandoned gear, I'd recover first what looked usable, then as much junk as possible, and then report it while still offering up what I had taken. My take is that caches usually don't include non-durable items, collapsed and strewn about, but instead are more thoughtfully hidden for a future visit.

GNGSTR
slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 10:26 am 
Any chance we could not refer to this virus with racist terms? Please?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 10:47 am 
The FS in Randle has had a dumpster for this purpose, and for use by the commercial berry and mushroom pickers to use. A decrease in trash left in berry/fungus camps was noticed. The dumpster was paid for using money from those permits.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 11:28 am 
slowbutsteady wrote:
No. It came from china, therefore it's a chinese virus. Just like a radio made in china would be a chinese radio. No "racist" bs about it.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 12:33 pm 

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 12:34 pm 
Let's see if we can not give the moderators a headache. smile.gif I found a bag of dog poop in center of the trail. How do I know if it was cached or abandoned?

rossb

rossb
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 12:35 pm 
moonspots wrote:
slowbutsteady wrote:
No. It came from china, therefore it's a chinese virus. Just like a radio made in china would be a chinese radio. No "racist" bs about it.
Does that mean we should refer to the 737 Max as the "Renton Jet"? People stopped referring to viruses by their location a long time ago. Part of the reason was was because they would often get it wrong, or they don't know where it started (e. g. no one knows where the Spanish Flu started, but few think it was in Spain). Another reason is because it is ambiguous (e. g. "The American Flu" would be meaningless -- which one?). And yes, one reason they avoided that is because it often increases xenophobia. There is no reason to specify "Chinese". You could have simply wrote "virus" (we all know which one). "Chinese" doesn't really narrow it down (China gets a lot of diseases, and many start there, although again it is often difficult to determine where a disease starts). Using the word "Covid" narrows it down a lot more (and again, we would know which one). Covid-19 is precise and uses the same numbers of letters as you wrote. Calling it "chinese virus" is a bizarre choice, when no one refers to it as that, and calling it "covid" uses fewer letters. (I assume you are typing on a phone, as that would explain the typos and punctuation errors).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 12:36 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I found a bag of dog poop in center of the trail. How do I know if it was cached or abandoned?
If you owned a dog you would know the answer to that question.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
rossb

rossb
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 12:37 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I found a bag of dog poop in center of the trail. How do I know if it was cached or abandoned?
I always follow the rules of the road on that one. smile.gif