Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help! Gaia and Garmin on Android?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 25, 2021 9:55 am 
I can't believe I have to ask for help with this, I'm pretty computer literate, but the inner workings of Android are a mystery to me. On my last phone, when I exported a route in Gaia it would ask me what file format, I would say gpx, and then Garmin Connect Mobile would pop up asking me if this is a bike or trail running route. From that point, the phone sends it to my watch over the air and it's available when I want it On my new phone, it just writes the file and that's that. I can't get to the file in the browser app and I can't just tell it to associate GCM with gpx files in settings. Garmin's app doesn't have the concept of manually importing the file. I can get a Gaia route into Garmin with a Windows computer but they don't travel as well. If anybody has advice, I'll be eternally grateful.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue May 25, 2021 10:40 am 
That UI looks like Android 12 and you discuss that you just updated to a new device so I have two thoughts: 1) Android 12 may have dropped this feature. 2) Android 12 is still a beta release and the feature is broken at the moment in Gaia. I have seen historically with beta versions of Android that the permissions model gets overhauled and marketplace apps are slow to update accordingly. For example, I believe in Android 10 Google differentiated the permissions into new categories (Always allow, allow while in app, never allow) and Strava didn't support this for several months after the beta was released so I wasn't able to use GPS features unless the phone was unlocked, the screen was on, and the app was running in the foreground. If that's not Android 12 and it's just a UI overhaul by the manufacturer like Touchwiz then please disregard what I said.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 25, 2021 12:16 pm 
IDK: I guess I'm an old fart -- but when I "import" GPX files into GaiaGPS I do it on my PC and then they simply appear in catelog in the phone app within a few seconds while I'm sitting on the couch connected to my home WiFi -- I've never tried doing a "file" export/import using the phone UI.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 25, 2021 2:37 pm 
Just checked, I'm on Android 11, with Samsung's One UI 3.1. My previous phone was a Note 8, this is an S21. I've been creating / planning the routes in the Gaia app, and then I'm trying to get them into Garmin. I know how to do it from a Windows machine, but the process is more cumbersome. And I usually have my phone with me.

jstluise

jstluise
PostWed May 26, 2021 11:10 am 
Since you can't seem to save it locally on the phone I would try exporting the file from Gaia into Google Drive or OneDrive (whatever one you have), then opening it up from there. Hopefully it will give you the option to open with Garmin Connect, then you should be on your way. Can't test on my end, I'm still on Android 9...

neek

neek
PostWed May 26, 2021 11:35 am 
Since you're paying, maybe Garmin support would be receptive? I've had decent engagement from Gaia support. In Strava I've found the same feature lacking, and ended up using mobile web. Garmin may even entertain file import as a feature request. But if "share" used to be an option, maybe it's simply a bug they're not aware of.