Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Forgotten Meadows - 10.24.20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 9:55 am 
Hiking partner and I attempted to get to Perry Creek falls in April this year and turned around 3/4 of the way due to poor snow coverage. When the forecast cleared for Saturday we decided to head back this weekend to try to get up to the meadows and scope out Mt. Forgotten. Left the TH at 7am. As usual, the Perry Creek trail hits with the views out of the gate.
Snow started as soon as we left the old road bed and we had a nice traction-y layer of rain crusted snow over the talus fields. We made good time to the falls and creek crossing.
After that we slogged up to the meadows, arriving around 12pm. The snow deepened once we were out of the tree cover, maybe 5-6 inches. We stopped at the first lookout point to take a peak at Stillaguamish and then headed through the meadows proper to get a look at Mt. Forgotten.
We had planned to summit, and had left ourselves the time, but the summit block was consistently socked in and neither of us felt much like losing/regaining the needed elevation. We instead took a luxurious lunch break in the sun (!) at the snow-covered tarn before heading home.
This trail is really beautiful end to end. Definitely one of my favorites in any season.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 11:49 am 
Is Stillaguamish good in winter?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 6:56 pm 
I have been to forgotten quite a few times, I have a selective memory on trail difficulty, but going up to perry creek falls through all those rocks seems to take forever. I have only been up stillaguamish once, but I think it would be pretty difficult in winter, especially with route finding since it’s a rarely traveled trail. Ymmv.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 5:58 am 
Quote:
Is Stillaguamish good in winter?
I'm not sure...I am definitely not brave enough to tackle it in winter! biggrin.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 8:07 pm 
For some reason I never get tired of Forgotten Meadows even though I have been there six times. confused.gif Your photos remind me of how photogenic it can be up there and why I keep going back!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 11:15 am 
Nancyann wrote:
For some reason I never get tired of Forgotten Meadows even though I have been there six times. confused.gif Your photos remind me of how photogenic it can be up there and why I keep going back!
Me too, but I am very tired of the trail, especially the part going to the falls, all those rocks are hard on the legs, plus it seems to go on forever....too bad I never had the chance to "guide" you up to Stillaguamish, we could have gotten lost. It is a really cool trail (once you find it) and is so remote and uncrowded.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 11:32 am 
Well, you have eight months to get in shape for it C.J. crutches.gif I’m in! chickenleg.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 6:42 pm 
Plus Stilly is a really easy scramble to the summit, and a big flat area on top. One can sit on the edge with your feet hanging down with several hundred feet of air below. There is also South lake just below and to the west, I always wanted to get down there and do some fishing. It's not a long descent, but it's steep and one might need to rappel a couple of times. Still, such and isolated and beautiful are. It helps that there is no defined trail where it splits from the Forgotten trail.