Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tubal Cain Mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 7:39 pm 
Excellent option for a day trip! Especially after the first snow of the season makes everything sparkle! The road to the trailhead is long, with a few potholes, but not too bad. The trail is excellent condition, a bit over 2 miles to the turnoff to the plane wreck, then not too much farther along the main trail to the mine. The mine is above a big open area of mine tailings. With water flowing out of the mine entrance, we stayed out, but the old B-17 wreckage sure is interesting.
Tubal Cain Mine - Google Earth
Tubal Cain Mine - Google Earth

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 8:21 pm 
When our forest service crew did that hike years ago we came out of Silver Lake, per photo #1, hiked along the ridge til we got above and then down to the plane wreck (parts of the fuselage were still pretty much intact then and a lot of debris down the slope). Then on over to the the one building at Tull City and up to Tubal Caine for the night (only one building there also). A few of us went back into the tunnel for several hundred yards til we came to where the roof had caved in and dammed the stream coming out. Looked back into the tunnel with our head lamps. With all that water backed up it was really eerie. There was still quite a bit of old equipment scattered around the entrance at that time. Left via the trail going up the canyon to the right and into Charlia Lake. Out via Boulder Shelter and the Dungeness. Don't remember the names of all the trails, but it was a memorable 4 day hike.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 5:36 am 
excellent

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 6:01 am 
Love this hike! Went with my dad when I was a young teenager and was blown away by seeing the plan wreckage. I hope someday to do the silver lake loop.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.