Forum Index > Trip Reports > Round Mountain (White Pass): 10/25/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 11:19 pm 
After spending the night in Yakima, we continued our journey west toward White Pass. As we drove along Rimrock Lake, we spotted a very snowy looking Round Mountain up ahead. I figured that if we could make it up the road to the TH, then we would have a good shot at getting to the top sans snowshoes. We were in luck - the road was in great shape with minor snow coverage. It was 22F when we left the TH. As with our hike to Lost Lake the previous day, the snow muted the golden larch color. But with fresh snow and a bluebird day, we didn't mind too much. The trail gained 1700' in 2.5 miles but never felt too steep. Before long, we were at the old lookout site. A biting wind made for a quick stay. We headed a short ways SW from the lookout site to a sunny, wind-free ledge with great views of Rainier, the Goat Rocks, and the top of Adams. After lunch, we made good time on the descent back to the warm car. What a beautiful day!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 6:05 am 
Looks like an awesome little jaunt. It feels a bit like winning the lottery to find good road conditions to the trailhead when it's chancey. cool.gif I really enjoyed the tableau on this shot with the snow-covered cairn.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Oct 27, 2020 8:09 pm 
Looks like a fun but chilly adventure. I love the way the frozen larches look against the intense blue of the sky!