Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bond...James Bond - RIP Sean Connery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 31, 2020 6:18 pm 
Actually, I'm not sure society has evolved that far. I wonder what the 1960s would say if they were privy to social media in 2020? But I digress, and falling into the trap of thread drift.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 31, 2020 6:28 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I also enjoyed two of his lesser known films, "The Name of the Rose"
Great movie. And I am pretty particular about movies. But the book is excellent too. I read this in the 80's. Such an excellent read. From the Wikipedia page: The Name of the Rose (Italian: Il nome della rosa [il ˈnoːme della ˈrɔːza]) is the 1980 debut novel by Italian author Umberto Eco. It is a historical murder mystery set in an Italian monastery in the year 1327, and an intellectual mystery combining semiotics in fiction, biblical analysis, medieval studies, and literary theory. It was translated into English by William Weaver in 1983. The novel has sold over 50 million copies worldwide, becoming one of the best-selling books ever published.[1] It has received many international awards and accolades, such as the Strega Prize in 1981 and Prix Medicis Étranger in 1982, and was ranked 14th on Le Monde's 100 Books of the Century list. But back to Sean Connery. He was so good in this film. Thanks for mentioning it. ~z

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Oct 31, 2020 10:59 pm 
Ugh. I pay very little attention to the real-world lives of celebrities. For the most part I just don't care about their "rich and famous" lifestyles, who they're shacking up with and other assorted relationship drama, or really what they have to say about anything. I'm primarily concerned with whether I find them to be entertaining. Of course, there are some details you can't avoid unless you live under a rock and put blinders on while in the supermarket checkout line. Yet, somehow I managed to miss out on ever knowing about Connery's misogyny until now and it's seriously disappointing to learn about this as I greatly admired him as an actor. He killed it in Zardoz.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 3:23 pm 
Resht in Peesh.

don't believe everything you think
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 8:38 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Anne Elk wrote:
I also enjoyed two of his lesser known films, "The Name of the Rose"
Great movie. And I am pretty particular about movies. But the book is excellent too.
Agreed. It was the movie that motivated me to read the book. Might be time to dig it out of my library and read it again, now that we have Google Translate - in the edition of the book I have, they didn't bother to translate any of the Latin quotations - so frustrating! BTW - "Five Days One Summer" is an elaboration/embroidery based on the short story "Maiden, Maiden" by Kay Boyle (1946). I found it in the anthology "A Treasury of Mountaineering Stories" edited by Daniel Talbot (1954).

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 10:25 pm 
James Bond was a debonair Englishman who drove a Bently. The film producers wanted Roger Moore for the role, but he was under contract, doing The Saint on TV. When Sean Connery was suggested he was considered all wrong, a gruff Scotsman. So, they changed the part to fit the available talent. Good call. My only two complaints with him as Bond: the obvious pane of glass between him and the tarantula in Dr. No, and that he refused to say “Pussy Galore” in Goldfinger, always saying “poosy”. Rest in peace.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 1:43 am 
rocknclimb wrote:
"I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman- although I don’t recommend doing it in the same way that you’d hit a man. An open-handed slap is justified if all other alternatives fail.” – Sean Connery !$@& this guy 100%
+1. Thank you rocknclimb. It's encouraging to see men call this out. Tom, I hope you rethink locking discussions that question the glorification of misogynists. We've lost some great NWH contributors (both male and female) over the years due to a very male-centric vibe here. I can tell you from firsthand experience that women are constantly talked over by men. Go to any corporate boardroom if you don't believe me. It's obnoxious and exhausting to put up with. So when you threaten to shut down discussion about an idol's misogyny, it comes off as yet another talking-over. Locking a thread if anyone mentions Connery's inappropriate comments is akin to pretending that he never made those comments. Lest I be accused of it - I'm not looking to use NWH as a platform to further an agenda. I'm asking that you allow women to have a voice by not silencing these discussions whenever they come up.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 2:45 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
So when you threaten to shut down discussion about an idol's misogyny, it comes off as yet another talking-over. Locking a thread if anyone mentions Connery's inappropriate comments is akin to pretending that he never made those comments.
You're missing Tom's point. He allowed mention of it, but will not allow thread drift into "discussion" about it, which would invariably descend into pointless arguing and ill will, like in the Fred Beckey RIP thread, or any number of threads we've shut down that veer too far into violating the site's posting rules. That's not "talking over", it's an effort at keeping things civil and focusing more on creating a sense of community, rather than divisiveness. It's the reason I was asked to help with monitoring the site. The three of us often confer re most lockups, privilege suspensions, etc.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood