Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Lakes Halloween - 10.31.20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 6:58 pm 
Back in early October, under blue skies and 70 degree weather, my hiking partner and I dreamed up a scheme to car camp at Twin Lakes on Halloween as a substitute for our usual shenanigans. Again, October 2020 came in with perfect weekend weather. The infamous road had received a dusting of snow on Friday and was a little dicey when we drove up after dark. My hiking partner will read this and laugh at my casual treatment of what was surely my gnarliest 4x4 task yet. (She had to listen to me talk myself through each of those hairpins... eek.gif ). We arrived at the camping area, safely, around 8:30pm and encountered only one other car. A second vehicle came in ~30 minutes after us with a gentleman who was going to solo Larabee the next morning. We snagged a great spot right on the lake, tried to block out the blazing bright moon, rolled the sleeping bags out in the back of the truck, and caught some zzzzs.
At dawn, we lounged around and watched the sun warm up Winchester Mtn as we made coffee and breakfast. Around 9:30 am we headed up to attempt the lookout. As seems to be our theme this year, we made it to the final traverse and ended up turning around due to the snow quality. I am happy to report, however, that the snow quality did not affect the views. cool.gif
We explored a bit back at the lakes and walked the road to Skagway pass. Once I was convinced the sun had softened up the road to avoid a repeat of the previous night, we headed down to our next camp.
For our second night, we snagged an awesome camp up a forest road down the valley. We washed our dinner down with great views of Baker, Church Mountain, and Abbotsford.
The scares may have been different than those we had experienced on Halloweens past, but the fun was all the same. devilsmile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 7:13 pm 
This is a scary road to drive even without snow! Wow! Brave driving!

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 7:17 am 
Quote:
This is a scary road to drive even without snow! Wow! Brave driving!
Thank you! It's what my dad would call a "character building experience". lol.gif The pay off was worth it.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
call-151

call-151
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 6:02 pm 
I remember driving down that road last year, running into another vehicle and after a brief mexican standoff backing uphill to the previous pullout. It sure helps to keep track of the pullouts!