Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two bodies found on Tolmie Peak
Previous :: Next Topic  
stever

stever

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 5:46 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/news/bodies-of-two-hikers-recovered-from-tolmie-peak.htm
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 8:26 pm 
frown.gif  Tragic
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 8:29 pm 
Lots of death an tragedy on the mountains this year. Hopefully 2021 is better.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pyrites

Pyrites

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 10:31 pm 
Just so sad.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts

Huge Member
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:47 pm 
Sounds like a murder-suicide!  frown.gif
https://komonews.com/news/local/bodies-of-two-hikers-found-at-tolmie-peak?fbclid=IwAR3v-Bdyr8S-QnCM8X_sUW0H10e7B0gLwCX4KzvRF3ghPq6rAYPhGwUu_ds

Officials said an investigation so far suggests the people died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds in the previous few days. Officials say the men are ages 29 and 34, and neither are from Western Washington.
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr

TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 12:51 pm 
Absolutely horrific. I wonder if it was a traditional murder suicide or a suicide-pact type thing. I hope they weren't suffering in their final moments.

RIP.
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 2:09 pm 
So very tragic..and I can say wholeheartedly that my heart goes out to the people who found them...not something I want to find...ever.  Hard to get those images out of ones mind.  Blessings to all.

--------------
I choose to live in a landscape of hope.
                           Terry Tempest Williams
Stefan

Stefan

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 3:42 pm 
That's going to give me a different feeling next time I go up Tolmie.  Sometimes information is not good for the soul.

--------------
Art is an adventure.
HikerJohn

HikerJohn

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 8:14 am 
Well, THAT would be a traumatic scene to run across while hiking.  Can you imagine if you had kids and stumbled on that??

Closest I came to something like this was on a SAR mission near Melakwa Pass, but in that case we already knew the victim was deceased (partner reported his 200 foot fall).  It was still icky...
kiliki

kiliki

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 5:03 pm 
Stefan wrote:
That's going to give me a different feeling next time I go up Tolmie.  Sometimes information is not good for the soul.

I've not been to Bear/Pinnacle Lakes since the murders. I used to quite like that for a short hike. I'm not a fearful person but there is just something about that trail for me now.

I too feel for the SAR or NPS employees. I've been told that recovering a body from suicide is not a task that most SAR are unfamiliar with.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 5:22 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I too feel for the SAR or NPS employees. I've been told that recovering a body from suicide is not a task that most SAR are unfamiliar with.

I recently assisted for several days with a SAR team and talked with the dog handler about this. I acknowledged that she sees some very tragic aspects of humanity as suicides and murders are sometimes part of her recovery efforts. She said the SAR personnel are offered the psychological support services that are afforded by the county in which they operate. She had never dealt with recovery of a child and thought she would be greatly mentally challenged with that occurrence if it presents in the future.  I was encouraged that they are provided with the help that they need as at the end of the day we are all human.
Hesman

Hesman

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 5:30 pm 
Horrible indeed.

A what if scenario crossed my mind: what if the weather changed and the bodies had by chance been covered by snow not to be found by the hikers who found them and remained on the summit to be found next year. Though I would assume that the vehicle of the deceased parked at the gate would have raised some sort of alarm after awhile if the deceased hadnít been found at Tolmie.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two bodies found on Tolmie Peak
  Happy Birthday Randy, jenjen, Brewmaster!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: