Forum Index > Trail Talk > I might sound crazy...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 4:34 pm 
Your only going to hear the ruffed grouse drumming sound in the spring during the breeding season

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 5:55 pm 
I always thought it was a motorcycle that wouldn't start. But I couldn't figure out why a motorcycle would be deep in the wilderness. Then I thought boulders rolling in a river; but it was over and over again, and there are only so many boulders that would move in a river with such regularity.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 7:36 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Your only going to hear the ruffed grouse drumming sound in the spring during the breeding season
Actually male grouse will drum almost all year round. They will even drum at night. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 8:25 pm 
Male grouse perform their mating ritual by drumming from late March to late May. Drumming is usually performed on a log in an area with thick brush. Birds also drum on rocks and log piles. Drumming advertises the male's whereabouts and attracts a female.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 8:34 pm 
timberghost wrote:
Drumming advertises the male's whereabouts and attracts a female.
If people are hearing drumming outside of the courtship period of April-May it is possible that drumming serves a purpose in addition to attracting a female. It could be used as a territorial statement telling other males to stay away. There are people who conduct studies about the drumming behavior with grouse. I will write a letter to them to find out if drumming is done for reasons other than courtship and let you know their answer.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 10:11 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
If people are hearing drumming outside of the courtship period of April-May it is possible that drumming serves a purpose in addition to attracting a female.
I was along kelly creek in Idaho the middle of September and at a campsite I stayed at had one drumming for an entire day.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 10:34 pm 
Noheaperture wrote:
Mike Collins wrote:
If people are hearing drumming outside of the courtship period of April-May it is possible that drumming serves a purpose in addition to attracting a female.
I was along kelly creek in Idaho the middle of September and at a campsite I stayed at had one drumming for an entire day.
I was driving out on the mountain loop a couple of weeks ago and there was someone actually drumming right next to the Marten creek TH, the guy had an entire drum setup, sitting in the sun, overlooking the river and just jamming, all by himself. Now THAT is enjoying life! rocker.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 10:10 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Actually male grouse will drum almost all year round
The Ruffed Grouse Society agrees with you on this. They have an informative website that adds to our discussion. https://ruffedgrousesociety.org/grouse-facts/#bio