Forum Index > Trail Talk > Skis are the new toilet paper
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
Cyclopath
Faster than light



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 4653 | TRs
Location: Seattle
Cyclopath
  Top

Faster than light
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 12:17 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
“We’re running out of skis,” said Alison Meinert, a buyer for Eb’s Source for Adventure.

“Our big shipment of skis for the year — it was gone in 10 days, essentially. So that is unprecedented.”

Edith MacHattie, a salesperson at Eb’s, said customers started buying nordic gear in August.

“People were coming in in shorts and T-shirts and buying full ski packages,” MacHattie told Global News.

“We’ve never, ever in the history of Eb’s seen this kind of demand for cross-country skiing.”


https://globalnews.ca/news/7440443/cross-country-ski-demand-supplies-dwindle/amp/

It was the same story with bikes all summer.  If you were planning to buy skis or any other gear this winter you might want to get started.  And expect more people to be out this winter.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RumiDude
Marmota olympus



Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 2936 | TRs
Location: Port Angeles
RumiDude
  Top

Marmota olympus
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 12:28 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath wrote:
And expect more people to be out this winter.

This is the main reason. Just as there were increase numbers of people out in the backcountry during the summer, the winter will be the same. The reaction to the pandemic is the cause.

Rumi~the pandamnit~Dude

--------------
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stefan
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 4627 | TRs

Stefan
  Top

Member
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 12:54 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
yep.  I agree.  the lines will be long at ski areas too!  even with reservations!

--------------
Art is an adventure.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
jstluise
Member
Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2019
Posts: 12 | TRs

jstluise
  Top

Member
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 2:19 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stefan wrote:
yep.  I agree.  the lines will be long at ski areas too!  even with reservations!

I renewed my Ikon pass early in the year when I was still optimistic about all this, but I'm kind of regretting that now. Luckily one can defer the cost of the pass to the 21/22 season which I'll probably take advantage of. Crystal is still working on their operating plans, but between limited capacity/reservations, 6' distancing in lift lines, and likely "a limit on the number of non-familial riders that can be seated on a given chair" (from Crystal's website) I think skiing at the resort is going to be interesting this season.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki
Member
Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 1712 | TRs
Location: Seattle
kiliki
  Top

Member
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 5:00 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I chose not to get a Crystal (or Ikon) pass this year. The "hall pass", which can be used by more than one person (not at the same time) was tempting, but I think things are iffy enough that I'm not even confident my husband and I would even get the 6 days out of that we'd need to make it worth it. European resorts are already either shutting down or delaying opening due to outbreaks. The fact that Crystal is not using a reservation system means that everyone with a pass could, on a good day, show up, and boy what a sh**show that would be. There isn't enough parking capacity for that of course and lift lines, without full chairs, would be awfully long.

Our regular rental in Mazama is booked solid--way more than usual--all winter. So are the other properties at Methow Reservations, which is what we use. I love the idea of doing a little Nordic skiing, but am trying not to get my hopes up.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
jstluise
Member
Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2019
Posts: 12 | TRs

jstluise
  Top

Member
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 5:33 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki wrote:
The fact that Crystal is not using a reservation system means that everyone with a pass could, on a good day, show up, and boy what a sh**show that would be. There isn't enough parking capacity for that of course and lift lines, without full chairs, would be awfully long.

They haven't announced exactly what they're doing, but the bit of info on their website definitely indicates there will be some sort of system in place to limit the number of lift ticket/visitors with priority to passholders. Probably something similar to last season but with an overall reduced capacity at the resort. Last season they had advance ticket sales only on the weekend and turned away visitors when the lots filled up. And, IIRC, once covid hit they put a more strict reservation system in place which filled up very quickly.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. Maybe if one is lucky enough to get a reservation and there is reduced capacity, it won't be too bad since, even though the lift lines are slower, there will be less people.

I just hope people who forgo the resort and are entering the backcountry for the first time are smart about it. If that's you: don't go alone, choose your partners wisely, educate yourself on trip planning and weather/avy reports, bring the proper gear and know how to use it. Get yourself into an Avalanche 1 course, it's worth it.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!



Joined: 25 Dec 2006
Posts: 9936 | TRs
Location: Don't move here
treeswarper
  Top

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 6:32 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki wrote:
Our regular rental in Mazama is booked solid--way more than usual--all winter. So are the other properties at Methow Reservations, which is what we use. I love the idea of doing a little Nordic skiing, but am trying not to get my hopes up.

You could go 30 miles further and stay in Omak and ski the Loup Nordic trails or commute to the Methow.  There are decent motels that are available.  Don't know what the condition is of one in Okanogan, which would be 5 miles closer.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki
Member
Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 1712 | TRs
Location: Seattle
kiliki
  Top

Member
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 11:48 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
jstluise wrote:
kiliki wrote:
The fact that Crystal is not using a reservation system means that everyone with a pass could, on a good day, show up, and boy what a sh**show that would be. There isn't enough parking capacity for that of course and lift lines, without full chairs, would be awfully long.

They haven't announced exactly what they're doing, but the bit of info on their website definitely indicates there will be some sort of system in place to limit the number of lift ticket/visitors with priority to passholders. Probably something similar to last season but with an overall reduced capacity at the resort. Last season they had advance ticket sales only on the weekend and turned away visitors when the lots filled up. And, IIRC, once covid hit they put a more strict reservation system in place which filled up very quickly.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. Maybe if one is lucky enough to get a reservation and there is reduced capacity, it won't be too bad since, even though the lift lines are slower, there will be less people.

I just hope people who forgo the resort and are entering the backcountry for the first time are smart about it. If that's you: don't go alone, choose your partners wisely, educate yourself on trip planning and weather/avy reports, bring the proper gear and know how to use it. Get yourself into an Avalanche 1 course, it's worth it.

Alterra has been explicit about what they are doing, and they are not using reservations at most of their resorts. The system to limit visitation at Crystal is that they are not going to sell walk up tickets, and they will limit the amount of advance single day tickets based on anticipated crowd levels. There were record sales of the Ikon Pass. They have been very clear they have no plans to offer reservations at this time. To me this seems like a recipe for disaster. It is why I didn't buy a pass.

https://www.alterramtnco.com/news/2020/09/14/ikon-pass-announces-reservation-plan.html
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki
Member
Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 1712 | TRs
Location: Seattle
kiliki
  Top

Member
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 11:52 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper wrote:
kiliki wrote:
Our regular rental in Mazama is booked solid--way more than usual--all winter. So are the other properties at Methow Reservations, which is what we use. I love the idea of doing a little Nordic skiing, but am trying not to get my hopes up.

You could go 30 miles further and stay in Omak and ski the Loup Nordic trails or commute to the Methow.  There are decent motels that are available.  Don't know what the condition is of one in Okanogan, which would be 5 miles closer.

You know, I hadn't considered that. We were actually planning on skiing downhill at Loup Loup, and thought that if we couldn't get a cabin maybe we could get a motel with a kitchenette in Twisp or Winthrop. But I hadn't thought about Omak, and that's not a bad idea, and I had forgotten there is a Nordic area there.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 7587 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
Randito
  Top

Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 05, 2020 12:24 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Just remember that the the COVID-19 infection rate in Okanogan county is 2.5 times higher than in King County.   Ski yes, bar hop, not so much.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!



Joined: 25 Dec 2006
Posts: 9936 | TRs
Location: Don't move here
treeswarper
  Top

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 05, 2020 5:47 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito wrote:
Just remember that the the COVID-19 infection rate in Okanogan county is 2.5 times higher than in King County.   Ski yes, bar hop, not so much.

That is per capita.  We have days with zero cases then one or three.  It seems that Oroville has been the "hotspot" lately. Keep an eye on this because I rode my bike by an outdoor good sized wedding where no other precautions could be seen, and just read about a positive case at the Tonasket school, which is going to continue to hold classes in person. 

Here is the link.  https://okanogancountycovid19.org/covid-19-data/

There is also the Casino to stay at.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
texasbb
Misplaced Texan



Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 1033 | TRs
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
texasbb
  Top

Misplaced Texan
PostThu Nov 05, 2020 8:54 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Rats.  I thought this was going to be another thread on how to avoid packing it out.  biggrin.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
smp77
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Aug 2020
Posts: 7 | TRs

smp77
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 05, 2020 9:03 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
If you head to Omak, the Highlands Sno Park north of Tonasket has great groomed Nordic trails and is never crowded.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 7587 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
Randito
  Top

Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 05, 2020 1:32 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper wrote:
That is per capita. 

Which is why i used the word "rate" instead of "cases"    Point is that the probability a person you interact with is infected in Okanogan county is 2.5 times higher than it is in King.   

Also I was travelling about a month ago in UT and ID and the % of people I would encounter not wearing masks or practicing social distancing while in indoor public spaces (e.g. a grocery store) what pretty darn high and not just customers, but also staff.

treeswarper wrote:
We have days with zero cases then one or three. 

That's the sort of thinking that leads to lax practices --- and increases the spread of the virus.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki
Member
Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 1712 | TRs
Location: Seattle
kiliki
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 05, 2020 2:15 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito wrote:
Just remember that the the COVID-19 infection rate in Okanogan county is 2.5 times higher than in King County.   Ski yes, bar hop, not so much.

Anyplace I go I will want a self contained unit, thus my disappointment that vacation rentals are so booked up. I have no interest in eating indoors in restaurants or going to bars in any county. A motel with a kitchenette would work if I couldn't get anything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Skis are the new toilet paper
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy