Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Environmentalists sound alarm about Seattle PARKS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 7:33 pm 
( * see also previous post * )
asdf wrote:
Vagrancy-style homelessness is a hard problem to truly solve because it's so highly correlated with addiction and mental illness (people who are functioning in society but priced out of local housing, is a lot easier to solve, although it does cost money) However, that doesn't mean that we must throw up our hands and simply ignore the takeover of public spaces by vagrancy. There is a public park by my house that I have fond memories of our kids playing at over the years, and it's so sad to walk past it now and see tents, aggressive homeless people, needles, tons of garbage and such. Other peoples' children (and my children's children, eventually) will not be able to enjoy that park. My appeals to the city and my councilmember have been completely fruitless.
(* emphasis added *) And there's the crux of it. I drove up to Mercer Island earlier to pick up an item and then back. On my way back I looked to my left and saw at least a half a mile of homeless encampment under the northbound lanes of I-5. Whether this is a municipal park or otherwise, it appears to be a garbage dump. As I noted in my post above, it looks as though the municipal government of Burien at least heard the message about Salmon Creek Ravine and did make some effort to address it - that much is clear. I cannot say to what extent because we didn't walk the entire area. I have not yet had an opportunity to revisit the other areas I've mentioned, like Oak Tree Park or Swan Creek Park down here in Tacoma. I did get a reply from one City Council member. There's an old saying about "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." It may well be that continued pressure on local municipal elected officials might well provide some remedy. Just my lousy two cents, of course. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 7:35 pm 
See if this works. What I thought was a kid, looks to be an adult. Shacktown

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message