Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bears and snow camping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 am 
I saw the question as, what are best practices in bear country in the winter, as opposed to the irrational fear that some people have of being "eaten by a bear." Nothing wrong with having a discussion about best practices when it comes to food storage, preparation, clean camps, etc. I personally do the same thing that I do in summer--use my Ursack, keep a spotless camp, don't use heavily scented products, etc etc. I'm sure others are right that bears aren't likely to be seen much, but that could always change based on people's habits. Bears in Tahoe stay up all winter literally eating garbage now. Bears don't HAVE to hibernate.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
talapus

talapus
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 11:46 am 
Thanks, yes, that's what I was looking for. I guess I'll do the same.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 2:31 pm 
So are you really that scared of bears in the winter? Are you thinking you need added precautions? Are you worried more in the spring thru fall?

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 5:18 pm 
I don't think there was indication of being scared, per se. Just a request for advice for prudent precautions.

talapus

talapus
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 5:39 pm 
I guess I should have made my question clearer. I happen to observe the recommended "bear safety" practices when backpacking below the snow line: urscack/container, and no food or cooking in the tent. I was wondering if anyone thought that such rules may be relaxed in winter, when camping well above the snow line. So far, I've heard from folks who don't think that such rules are important at any time of the year (makes sense, but not my cup of tea), and those who think that one should still observe them in the winter (kiliki). If anyone thinks that winter is special and the rules can be relaxed (and why), that would be great to hear! Thanks!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 6:04 pm 
The general recommendation from most authorities is not cook in your tent. But this has more to with CYA from the stove setting the tent on fire or killing occupants with Carbon Monoxide poisoning than to do with bear issues. In general in WA bear safety practices do not need to be as stringent as they are in AK, BC or MT. I have family that lives in AK, who have done field biology work in AK , including studies of Polar Bears , which are far far more dangerous to humans. Up there you need to be trained in firearm usage and carry a firearm, cook and eat in a separate site 1/2 mile+ from where you sleep, have separate clothes for cooking and eating vs everything else and have an electric fence to surround your camp. Here in WA it is sufficient to store your food in bear resistant containers. and stash those 100 yards from your tent.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 6:34 pm 
timberghost wrote:
So are you really that scared of bears in the winter? Are you thinking you need added precautions? Are you worried more in the spring thru fall?
It's not obvious how hibernation might change the picture. Do they set their alarm clocks for six months and not wake up until then? So I can do some weird ritual and surround my tent with salmon? Are they grumpy when they wake up, looking to take it out on the next human they see? Winter is a different game in a lot of ways, and again it's not obvious how that changes human ursine relations.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 7:47 pm 
I have snow camped many times in WA, OR, CA, and BC never had a problems with bears; raccoons, martins, and foxes are another story.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 8:11 pm 
Maybe you should ask if anyone had issues in the winter or fall with bears. I have winter and fall camped here and never had an issue. I would even go as far to say they were my last concern. Avalanches, hypothermia. Tweeters,mice are more of a concern for me. IMO

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 8:36 pm 
I haven't had any issues with bears. I've had rodents chew through my tent though. It's not a bad idea to hang your food.

Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Nov 15, 2020 10:22 pm 
Bears bring out the best in us.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Nov 16, 2020 8:27 am 
How so?

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Nov 16, 2020 8:32 am 
I carry Starbucks Vias and Mini Moos for coffee. These are both in hermetically sealed containers, you can hold them right up to your nose and you cannot smell them. They are in the tent at night so that I don't have to go take down the food to have my morning coffee. If a bear were to enter your campsite and wrestle away your Mini Moos...well let's just say that nothing even remotely like that has ever happened in this state AFAIK.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Nov 16, 2020 9:36 am 
Yesterday. Bears still moving around

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Nov 16, 2020 9:46 am 
I get the sentiment that we don't have to be as stringent as in places that have brown bears, and that you don't have to be as stringent in winter. But really, what is so hard about what we do in summer than makes it such a hassle in winter? And given that you still have to protect food from rodents/other animals, which as someone pointed out are probably THE issue with food storage, what exactly do people want to "slack" on? And given what we know about bears not hibernating when there are food sources, and how much more bear activity we see around camps these days (with new bear canister regulations and closed backcountry camps), it seems well within the realm of reality to think bears might up their winter activity around here.