Forum Index > Trip Reports > Klickitat Trail: 10/31/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 am 
Headed down to the GPNF for more exploration today. We parked the car at 4800' and proceeded N/NE toward the Klickitat Trail. Initially there was a faint bootpath, but it faded out in a marshy area so we just bushwhacked 200' up to the seldom traveled trail. From there we followed it on its numerous ups and downs until we reached a 5600' knob SW of Mission. Good views of Adams and the Goat Rocks from here. We headed NW along the ridge, which had some iffy terrain and required some scrambling. Finally we arrived at Sanctuary Arch. After enjoying this geological oddity, we headed back to the knob for food, drink, and pumpkin carving. En route, we found a spooky mountain goat skull, which seemed appropriate given the holiday. As the sun got lower, we retraced our steps, arriving back at the car just before headlamp time. Saw four volcanoes and zero other people. Good times up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 8:13 am 
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 9:00 am 
Yup, I've hiked bits and pieces of that trail and never ran into anybody. The road to the west side trailhead is pretty bad so that limits a lot of traffic. Every once in a while, some trail work gets done on it by the Back Country Horsepeople. The west end could use a weedwhacker on it. Trails in that area are excellent for unleashed hounds. During the week you probably won't run into any dog phobic humans.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 7:18 pm 
I assumed you accessed via 22-0160, then stub? The FS has logged out #7 out from that end a couple years ago. I was on a WTA project that camped at that spot, then hiked in by that route, then turned W. WTA has done at least two other projects on E end. We cut one or two logs, I guess as a diversion to meet volunteer expectations. Better was the large bulk spent doing tread rebuild.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
mosey

mosey
PostThu Nov 12, 2020 3:46 am 
The "laughing" appearance of the goat skulls is very neat. Very nice pictures all around.