Forum Index > Trail Talk > All veterans to get free access to federal lands for life.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Nov 15, 2020 2:58 pm 
Dante wrote:
PDATE: The Washington Post says veterans may get an America the Beautiful Pass for free by presenting a Veteran Health Identification Card, Veteran ID card or a Veteran-designated state ID. Don't use your veteran ID as a pass.
Thanks for that bit of info: I am a veteran but way too old to need one of these but having an America the Beautiful Pass makes perfect sense. It would be similar to my Golden Eagle Pass. I would never leave any sort of identification in my car. I don't even leave the car registration in the car when I park at a trailhead.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 1:16 pm 
Not sure if this is the legislation referred to, or if this different. But S 327 has just passed out of the US Senate last week, and sent onto president t. So, not law quite yet. https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/327 It allows for free lifetime pass for disabled Veterans and those with a service-connected disablility. Not all Veterans, as I read it. However, this is confusing, because as I read the FS website on passes - there is ALREADY a free pass for military Veterans. However, it looks like that one is an annual pass, requiring a Veteran to get a new one every year. Maybe getting around that is the intent of the new law, at least for disabled Veterans?

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 2:12 pm 
Thanks for posting. I thought it had happened already, but hadnt seen the background. As I thought, then.... it appears S 327 just extends the benefits of a lifetime pass to disabled Veterans.

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 11:13 am 
I picked up my free America The Beautiful Pass at the National Park and Forest Information Center in Sedro Wooly last Thursday. I'd already obtained a Veteran designation on my Washington Driver License, so all I had to do to get the Military America The Beautiful Pass was ask for it and show the ranger my Driver License.