Forum Index > Gear Talk > Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gil

Gil
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 7:44 pm 
I just got one in the mail. Looking ahead to retiring on Friday and heading out to the Pasayten soon. Anyone have experience with this pack? Any idiosyncracies to think about?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Deereguy

Deereguy
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 11:25 am 
I have an early version of this pack. Mostly the same. Purchased 5 or 7 years ago? It's my go- to pack. While the spec says something like "for trail use", I use this pack for mostly off trail. I've had to do some light sewing repair, as you might expect for off trail use. I would say, it works great for me. I'm usually out for an average of 4 days with a total weight of 25lbs.

RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:38 pm 
I had one. It was plenty light, durable, and versatile, but I just never got it to fit me well, so I stopped using it after a few outings.

Gil

Gil
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 5:03 pm 
I loaded up 25 pounds of gear in the pack and took a dayhike along the Skykine Divide with friends yesterday. Felt great. I'll be carrying about 10 pounds more than that into the Pasayten soon, and think that weight should work well.

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostWed Sep 30, 2020 10:38 pm 
I've been looking at their packs for a while. How waterproof are they?

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Gil

Gil
PostSun Oct 04, 2020 10:56 am 
Not sure how waterproof. I think if I were facing sustained rain I would use a garbage bag liner. I just returned from six days in the Pasayten and overloaded it with about 40 pounds and it was fantastic. I think 30-35 pounds is about right. Now if I can only cut my camera gear weight in half ...

Gil

Gil
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 2:19 pm 
After backpacking with the Mariposa in the Pasayten and in Utah canyon country, including one 20-mile day, I conclude that I like this pack. Just the right number of bells and whistles, great stuff pockets, and so light. No major wear issues despite encounters with desert brush. If you're looking for something lightweight, this is worth checking out.

cryptobrian

cryptobrian
PostFri Nov 13, 2020 2:34 pm 
I've enjoyed the Mariposa. I originally purchased a medium, felt like it was a bit small ... hip belt would often rise above my hips. So I just got a large, will have to see how that fairs ... I do wish the torso length was customizable, similar to many Osprey packs, for example. It does not ventilate particularly well, at least not with the standard back pad. But not a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, great little pack, with lots of great features (love all of the pockets!), from an outstanding company that provides excellent service. Good for up to about 30lbs or so. It is not waterproof. It will shed some light water, but you should not count on it as all. Use a pack cover, or pack liner. Side Note: The new pack I just received is one of the brand new green ones ... there are a couple of minor design tweaks. The most notable is the addition of holes in the backpanel ... perhaps this will help improve ventilation. We'll see next summer!