Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lots of people out
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Nov 29, 2020 7:31 pm 
Was a busy weekend in the woods of Hiway 2 this weekend. Lots of 4x4's and people getting Xmas trees on public and private land even though they aren't selling permits.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Nov 29, 2020 8:52 pm 
The USFS is selling permits online.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostSun Nov 29, 2020 9:18 pm 
Off 542 I saw multiple cars cutting trees right along the highway in areas I知 pretty positive are not legal. One right in the patch of big old growth and another taking a tree planted for erosion control where the road had to be shires up. Maybe it痴 always been like that and I致e just missed it but seemed very 2020!

dixon

dixon
PostSun Nov 29, 2020 11:11 pm 
Saw a dozen folks cutting off salmon le sac rd on National Forest land. Asked one of the guys cutting where you buy permits he responded "what permits". Seems like a bad situation since the forest service has no count of stock taken which they use for replant zones. Driving out, there were literally a conga like of trucks each with trees in the back. I guess this is 2020!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:47 am 
Same out here on the mountain loop, lots of Christmas tree snatchers, almost like an invasion..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 6:12 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Not for the private property up by Skykomish where it was a free for all.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 6:18 am 
Do not worry. People rarely get far from roads. Foresters overplant areas so deforestation is not going to be a problem. Think of it as a fire break--fewer trees to catch fire along roads. The problem is, foresters would like the plantations thinned but good Christmas trees are the open growing trees with limbs to the ground where trees don't need thinning. It's not much of a problem though, if reforestation has been successful. Foresters plant more trees than needed after a disturbance, and have to go back after the crowns grow in and do a precommercial thin.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 11:43 am 
timberghost wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
it is a bummer if they're stealing trees from private land. But back to public lands; they are selling permits. Though my neighbors have a some really nice small cedars and Doug-fir that would make dandy Christmas trees in my house. I have 2 picked out; one already has lights on it. devilsmile.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 11:51 am 
Seems a bit weird that they are selling Xmas tree permits. yet giving away firewood permits, but I'm not complaining, I saved 40 bucks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:25 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
timberghost wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
it is a bummer if they're stealing trees from private land. But back to public lands; they are selling permits. Though my neighbors have a some really nice small cedars and Doug-fir that would make dandy Christmas trees in my house. I have 2 picked out; one already has lights on it. devilsmile.gif
Well it might be such a thing that some of the trees were indeed taken on USFS land and a permit to be attached to the tree is not required. However what I saw was property up the Beckler river that is owned by the Tulalip Tribe where 10 or so cars cutting or had already cut trees off the property. I will say the trees were very nice and like a lot of things people don't know whose property they are on or where they are half the time.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:39 pm 
A permit [i]is required for USFS trees[/i]. Whether or not it will be checked, or if a person has a permit is another issue. There will likely be a lot of un-permitted cutting on USFS lands and private lands this year. The news sources are all reporting that more people at home this year during Christmas, and due to nostalgia, real Christmas trees are going to be big this year. So I bet this weekend will be another big traffic wkend for the passes, which is the point of this thread, I think...?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:03 pm 
Trees are the new toilet paper.

neek

neek
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:04 pm 
That's it! They're cutting trees to make their own toilet paper, not for Christmas. Why didn't I think of that??

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:14 pm 
Oh I get it that's cool of them to cut the trees down, haul them home and produce their own TP. I bet it's evergreen scented too.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:18 pm 
Hmmmm, I wonder if chippers are selling too. Will the Scouts who collect the trees afterwards,be processing the trees into TP? Then selling Scout Tissue to make money for camp? Stay tuned.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities