Previous :: Next Topic
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 5:57 pm 
Normamdy Park Cove In November
Normamdy Park Cove In November
I came across this bush today red berries and red bark. Best I could come up with is Viburnum opulus. Anybody’s recognize this? Was located next to a saltwater marsh.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 6:11 pm 
I am not convinced they are berries. The photo looks like rose hips of Rosa nutkana, Nootka Rose. Some of the branches have thorns. A berry forms from the ripened ovary of the flower with the wall of the ovary encasing the seeds. It is what botanists call a "true succulent fruit." False succulent fruits have the case which surrounds the seeds form from some other part of the flower but the ovary. A good example of false succulent fruits are rose hips.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 pm 
Rosehips on rose bushes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
pcg

pcg
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 9:21 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
... The photo looks like rose hips... It is what botanists call a "true succulent fruit."... A good example of false succulent fruits are rose hips.
??? I’m eager to learn. Which is it?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 am 
pcg wrote:
??? I’m eager to learn. Which is it?
In the Rosaceae family the sepals, petals, and stamens are fused into a floral tube with a botanical name of hypanthium. The seeds are formed and enclosed in the hypanthium and develop into a hip rather than a berry.

gb

gb
PostMon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 am 
Here are the various roses. Burke Museum WTU Image Collection - Rosa It is not all that difficult to figure out which rose, for, as you can see, a number are introduced and hence not likely to be widespread in the wild; and in fact only 2 or 3 are likely to be found in either Eastern Washington or Western Washington. You can see that distribution on the maps.

pcg

pcg
PostMon Nov 23, 2020 9:40 am 
An interesting sidenote... Patagonia has a lot of similar flora as the PNW. Rose hips anchor a small cottage industry there and there are entire shops devoted to rose hip products. Down there it's referred to as "rosa mosqueta". Also, they've given up on eradicating scotch broom (or maybe they never tried). Lots of houses actually plant it and shape it as a groomed hedge. And the tree they refer to as "Oregon Pine" is Douglas Fir. Oh yes, fuscia trees grow wild down there. I've always wanted to see if they would grow here.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 23, 2020 11:06 am 
Rose hips can be boiled for a back to nature tea which has vitamin C in it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities