Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pandemic Outdoor Crowds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Nov 25, 2020 11:53 pm 
If you're hittin' 90 you best get ready to COMPETE. Everyone on the trail is an opponent!!! Gotta be a Big Dawg on these trails if you wanna have ANY chance at rising to power!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 26, 2020 9:48 am 
timberghost wrote:
Wonder if the number of people purchasing TH passes is up or down even though they are required but not enforced?
As far as I know TH passes are not required. That's what they told me at the Darrington RS and I saw it posted at the Ice Caves TH as well that no passes are required. Firewood cutting permits are still required but available at no cost at this time. I just called Darrington and they sent me one in the mail.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 26, 2020 10:11 am 
zimmertr wrote:
I didn't really notice an uptick in traffic this year myself. I avoid I-90 & Mountain Loop though, so that's probably why. I guess maybe my loop through the Goat Rocks in July was pretty busy. But not much else.
Cascade Pass was busier than I've ever seen it, by several times. I mentioned that to a park ranger there who agreed. Judging by how far the parking overflowed. I did Easy Pass on a beautiful day in larch season and the parking lot was half full. Teanaway was pretty crowded even the not as well known trails, but I saw one person on a 10 mile larch march on Table Mountain. Ironically, I was surprised how not crowded the Goat Rocks were.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
timberghost wrote:
Wonder if the number of people purchasing TH passes is up or down even though they are required but not enforced?
As far as I know TH passes are not required. That's what they told me at the Darrington RS and I saw it posted at the Ice Caves TH as well that no passes are required. Firewood cutting permits are still required but available at no cost at this time. I just called Darrington and they sent me one in the mail.
Guess that would explain alot, restrooms closed, above average people at TH when they might not if they had to pay. Well that would explain alot offering to give me a firewood permit after I picked up a truck load of Garbage in the woods

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 26, 2020 4:13 pm 
There was so much trash at the Red Bridge CG that the road was blocked from all the garbage over-flowing from the dumpster. Then at the Verlot CG a black bear was spotted going through garbage. In a perfect world, people would pack it out but we all know how that works out. Too bad that even during a shutdown they can't at least empty the trash containers and it would be nice if they also kept the restrooms open and maintained. The Verlot Service center restrooms have been closed since March. At one point they had porta potties, but for some reason those went away a month or so ago.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
fn1889m

fn1889m
PostFri Nov 27, 2020 1:19 am 
People set up tents on the side of SR20 this summer. Colonial Creek campground was overflowing, with cars about a half mile before and after the entrance on 20. But 3-4 miles in on the trail to Park Creek Pass there was only light, normal traffic. A day out and there were only 3 people who passed us. Nevertheless, it does seem that NCNP has been discovered. I doubt that it will ever be as empty as in the past.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 am 
Meanwhile, I did not go up to my sekrit campground for a while, thinking it would be full. Finally, in the middle of August, I went there and found it to be almost empty with my favorite spot open. It did look like the area got hammered during the weekend. I checked out another small campground and there was garbage piled around an overflowing dumpster. Or maybe some of the locals were using it?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Nov 27, 2020 6:49 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I checked out another small campground and there was garbage piled around an overflowing dumpster. Or maybe some of the locals were using it?
No, if there was garbage piled up it was definitely a hunting/e-biking group that drives real slow on the access roads!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 27, 2020 9:16 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I checked out another small campground and there was garbage piled around an overflowing dumpster. Or maybe some of the locals were using it?
The dumpsters at Verlot CG were filled nearly every winter by the locals, last year they chained them shut, this year they screwed the lids shut, Losers can't or won't afford 20 bucks to do to the transfer station.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Nov 27, 2020 10:00 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Cascade Pass was busier than I've ever seen it, by several times
It's funny that you say that. I don't doubt your claim, in fact I find it likely given how popular that part of Highway 20 is. I was there the first weekend after the snow settled in with my girlfriend and one other friend and we only saw 3-4 people. Made for some great views though. smile.gif
Breaking Trail
Breaking Trail

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 12:57 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
There was so much trash at the Red Bridge CG that the road was blocked from all the garbage over-flowing from the dumpster.
When I was visiting my relatives last year in upstate NY, I took a day to visit Letchworth State Park, which was one of my favorite hiking spots when I lived there. Aside from the park being more crowded than I ever remembered, another new thing was signs posted in all the picnic and parking areas saying that Letchworth was a "pack-it-in-pack it out" park. There were NO trashcans or dumpsters anywhere. I didn't swing by the park's only campground, so I don't know what the m.o. was there, but I'm guessing it was the same. I didn't see litter or trash anywhere. Maybe that's too much good behavior to expect in "wilder" places like national forests/parks. But who knows.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 3:28 pm 
I was at Colonial Creek campground on Aug 23rd, a beautiful sunny Sunday, from 10 am until 11am, and while it was busy, it seemed like normal summer Sunday busy. There was plenty of parking near the boat launch. It’s funny how one person’s experience can be quite different from another’s, perhaps just a few days apart.